Advice on buying a Studer A807

fgonza2

Hi, does anyone here knows well the Studer A807 ? i ran into a deal and wanted to get some advice, here is what i saw:

Heads:
They have some wear and one of them is starting to show some uneven wear, i think they need to be relapped. Not sure how much will that be for these heads maybe in the $300 range for both ?

Transport:
Works as intended, however it is missing the left (and only) tension roller. They guy said he lost it doesnt know how. The machine works without it with the tape directly on the shaft, so that needs to be bought, not sure how hard is to find it. None on ebay as of now. Does anyone know ? Pinch roller is new. I noticed a slight play on the left reel table you can pull it up and down for about 2 mm of travel, the right one does not have that, not sure if that is minor or not, any help will be appreciated with that if anyone knows.

Audio works on both channels. I noticed a loud boom (this thing has a built in speaker) when the machine brakes from FF or RW to a STOP.

Cosmetically is in very good shape. Doesn't look abused. I found an issue with the operation of the machine, which has me thinking, when you are in FF or RW mode, sometimes the STOP button doesnt respond and the only way is to reboot the machine (turning on and off) i wonder if that is related to the computer control or if that is a known issue on these machines. After turning on and off, the issue goes away, but it comes back randomly when operating it.

As always all the expert advice form here is appreciated. I will work on the machine myself. I have not owned any studers before, so don't know how "workable" are those vs a Tascam or Otari.

Thanks

I'm away so I can't check the play on the reel tables. I remember that one of mine came loose in transit and I had to tighten it with an allen key.

The STOP problem sounds like it might be an OS problem. Any idea which OS it's running? This is the first thing it displays on boot, e.g. 3088 = week 30, 1988.
I took the precaution of backing up the firmware since the EPROMS are way past their retention date for many of these units. Do you know if it's a MK1 or MK2 version of the deck?

Mine doesn't have the amplifier so I can't really help with that, I'm afraid.

the OS is 20.91 in such a case what can be done. Is it possible to find new EPROMs ? if it is socketed i can probably copy it from another machine if i can find one.

Back