Advice on 1/2 tape

MAXRB

I just purchased a Tascam Tsr-8 and I need some tape!

The seller recommends me RMG Studio Master 900, which I think is this one:
http://www.thomann.de/index.html?partner_id=97926&page=es/rmg_sm900_12_762m_nab.htm

Should I use it if I don't want to calibrate the deck? What about 911?
Do you recommend me Quantegy instead of this one? If yes, which one?

And yes, If you can recommend me a book or some links with all the basic stuff (deck maintenance, calibration, cleaning, degaussing) that would be great. I feel a bit lost.

Thanks

Your deck was designed around +6 1.5mil tape, so we're talking about SM911 or 456 tape (or equivalent...can't remember the 3M equivalent).

You can use other tape fomulations for sure (i.e. SM900, GP9, 499, 996, which are +9 tapes), but there is potential for accelerated wear on the tape path with the +9 stuff and your deck can't properly bias it anyway. Another less popular route is +3 tape like 406. Some people really like it, so the choice is yours, but keep in mind that your deck was designed around +6 tape.

RMGI is the only manufacturer currently making new +6 tape. If you go with used tape of any flavor make sure you read the sticky shed thread tacked at the top of the forum. There is ok used tape and not ok used tape.

Did you get the manual with the TSR-8? Not just the operations manual but the Service Manual with all the good maintenance stuff? For me, studying the service manual was the best way to learn about what gets maintained on a machine. From there you will be pretty clear about what you are/are not comfortable doing and what level of maintenance you want to get into.

What specific questions do you have about demagnetizing and cleaning? Have you searched the forum?

There is some info on the subject over at the Reel to Reel Wiki put up by Ethyrvalve, and more is on the way.

Last edited:
I highly recommend you pick up a copy of The Recording Studio Handbook by John Woram, either the 1982 or the 1985 edition, available through Amazon.com.

AK

Did you get the manual with the TSR-8? Not just the operations manual but the Service Manual with all the good maintenance stuff? For me, studying the service manual was the best way to learn about what gets maintained on a machine. From there you will be pretty clear about what you are/are not comfortable doing and what level of maintenance you want to get into.
I'm pretty sure the service manual for the TSR-8 was only provided to technicians and was not for general consumption. Nonetheless, it's definitely handy to have if you can obtain it.

Back