add direct outs to a mixer?

amoniker

hi I am just getting into recording myltitrack analog reels. i was using a little yamaha 4 track cassette that was actually really nice but I'm tired of sub mixing and I want full mixdown abilities.

i bought a project tascam 38 with a fully working m208 mixer. everything works now sounds pretty solid but i really want to record 8 tracks of sequenced synths and drum machines at once. currently i can only do 4 with the bus outs on the m -208.

instead of buying and selling mixers i was wondering if it is possible to wire up some direct outs on the one I have currently?

You can probably use the inserts for that, looks like they're post-EQ on that board. Not entirely sure how you wire the return path though, I've never needed to try this. What I've usually done is use a timecode so that I can overdub the sequenced parts and they will always be in sync.

The easy way would be to just use the inserts and "insert" the tape deck.

With the tape track in record mode, you would hear the live audio, otherwise you would hear the tape.

You could get a patchbays for the inserts. Normalled, it will allow you to plug the tape deck input into it, without interrupting the signal through the board.

ya, my m-106 has direct out, and I made sure the Behringer I just bought had direct out as well - for my 8- channel interface, and two 8-channel disk recorders. I didn't want to spend that money out of my Social Security check, but it had the jacks I needed. Keep in mind that 8 tape tracks is something, but not everything.

I actually, do a fair amount of levels with the bag-of-synths-under-MIDI. I can tremolo a group of sliders, easier than trying to use a units master volumes. Also, I can have some direct out for indy tracks and use buss tracks for groups.

But ya, with a new package like that, I'd hit the tape in. It's, certainly, workable. I don't really use direct out that much as I'm going for more a it is what it is feel, rather than wanting to process tracks

Back