accessory 2 cables for mts-1000 midiizer??

kiira

Hiya,

I have 2 beautiful Tascam 238s and a mts-1000 midiizer, cool machines! But I don't
have the two 15 pin cables that will let me use the mts-1000 to sync up my 238s.

I saw someone in the archives who said he made the cables... does anyone know what the pinouts are so I could give that a try?

I thought the manual for the mts-1000 had the pinouts but alas, it does not.

thanks!

Kiira

Howdy y'all.. yea, I made mine. I was nerve wracking, but since I have a Nasa soldering certificate, I knew how to solder those$#@^^&%^&#little pins :D Ha! What ever you do, DO NOT buy the plugs with crimp pins, find the ones that you can remove the pins from the plastic housing. Makes it much easier to solder. Also, the hard part is finding a multicore cable with ONE conductor shielded, as one of the signals requires a shielded conductor. I never found it, so I did the next best thing and it worked great. I found a multi conductor(8 I think,) cable with a shield, which I used as a shield from plug cover to plug cover. There was no ground connector for the plugs cover, so I unbraided the shield and drew it back so the relief clamp tightened on it at each end. Don't know if this really did anything, but what the hell. The conductor requiring its own shield, was simple. I just ran a seperate single conductor cable along with the multiconductor, and soldered the shield to the correct pin, and the conductor itself to the correct pin. Worked like a charm. More than one way to skin a ....SHIELD...hahahaha!! I never told it that it was adopted, probably never knew anyway. :p

Ok, for the pinouts, I have them written down somewhere, but haven't unpacked those boxes since I moved. Give me a day and I'll dig em out. Crap, six months here and I still have a ton of boxes to unpack :eek: My kindom for a week of free time... :D Anyway, like I said, I just have to find my notes. One word of warning. There are two of the conductors/pins that have to be reversed at opposite plugs. I'll mark these clearly in a drawing I'll post for you. If you somehow foul these up, I read it can damage the unit. Well, talk to you in a day or so. BTW, congrats on getting a Midiizer....they are FANTASTIC.! Damn were they expensive when new. Got mine on ebay new in the box.....at one tenth the price of new. YAHOO!!

fitZ :)

Hi Rick!

Ok, for the pinouts, I have them written down somewhere, but haven't unpacked those boxes since I moved. Give me a day and I'll dig em out. Crap, six months here and I still have a ton of boxes to unpack My kindom for a week of free time... Anyway, like I said, I just have to find my notes.

yay yay hooray hooray... a g'zillion thanks! This stuff would have cost something like $5k in 1989 and it's just sitting there 'til I get the cables. The midiizer rawks for sure. I got mine for $300. I also have a Tascam 38 I just finished fixing and I might be able to use that synced up to the 238s too.... gotta play around with it all. YOW.

Luckily I'm pretty good at fine detailed soldering and stuff.... hate my small hands for guitar playing but for other stuff they are fine. NO DUMB MUSICIAN COMMENTS ALLOWED! :-)

ciao,

Kiira

VOILA!! Good news. I found it.....what a mess of papers. Anyway, pay attention to the reversal of the conductors from 2 and 4 from plug to plug. They reverse. Ok, good luck and have fun soldering. Ha! :D BTW, this is looking at the REAR of the plug.
fitZ

Attachments

• ACCESSORY2.gif
    ACCESSORY2.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Thanks Ghost, but I forgot to mention that this is a D-Sub 15. Radio shack even sells em. And both plugs are wired the same, except for pins 4 and 2.

BTW, the IRS said the same thing.....YOU DA MAN....er, da man were looking for:eek::rolleyes: :D

fitZ

Thanks SO much.... my studio thanks you too. btw where did you find the pinouts. I wrote to Tascam twice and they never answered me.

I have the coolest setup.. a vertcal 4' rack with my tascam 38 in the top, then the two 238s and the Midiizer on a shelf in the middle. rawk.

Kiira

Hello Kiira, your welcome. I got the pinouts from a gentleman who was a member of the "official" Tascam analog forum(before it so mysteriously disappeared without warning and with a promise to come back "bigger and better" than ever :rolleyes:ha!) I also called the Tascam Parts Dept, who told me that it wasn't available(desk jockys) :rolleyes:. As far as I'm concerned, this is just another stinking foreign corporation who's CEO can kiss my ass(I'd just as soon run a bayonet up his corporate rearend but they already got our message.
Forgive my attitude Kiira......my dad was on the PBY during WW 2 that discovered the "enemy" fleet going to Midway. He brought home plenty of pictures and stories about that war, especially the Baton death march. F..K THEM BAS......S. If you think the Iraqi' terrorists dispicable act of cutting an Americans head off a month ago was bad. My dad helped recover the bodies of 7 PBY crew members who were shot down off the coast of a pacific island......ALL of them were beheaded. Would you like to see the pictures?
And then thanks to the BRILLIANT foresight of american Corporate greed, corrupt polititians, and US american taxpayers, we rebuilt thier stinking little country, and what do we get?......among others, Toyota, Mitsubishi(who built the "Zeros" that were used to bomb Pearl Harbor)Sony(whos name is an acronysim for STANDARD OIL of NEW YORK) and the almighty Teac, all of who's corporate positions were filled with Japanese Army officers......Remember.....they vowed to "bury us" via consumerism. I'll never buy another Tascam anything. Or Jap anything for that matter.
I know this isn't the place. And I can hear the flamethrowers being lit now. However...........too bad. This is the net.
Hey, any of you Jap corporate assholes who get wind of this by chance.....
Let me summarize. To quote my Dad.....

:D

Attachments

• eatme.gif
    eatme.gif
    8 KB · Views: 247
Rick,

Just in case your ever interested in a new TASCAM bbs, there is in fact a new one up and running and I am the moderator of the analog section of it.

The guy who owns it is an American and as far as I know, no Japanese persons are involved in the day to day operations of the forum! :D

TASCAM FORUMS

Sianorra, little Buddy! :D

VOILA!! Good news. I found it.....what a mess of papers. Anyway, pay attention to the reversal of the conductors from 2 and 4 from plug to plug. They reverse. Ok, good luck and have fun soldering. Ha! :D BTW, this is looking at the REAR of the plug.
fitZ
Rick:
For years I've had doubts about these cables.
Some days ago I saw your Accessory2.gif image and knew your idea about the speed control servo shielded wire outside the multiconductor.
Yesterday I took the connectors, the soldering iron, etc, and made my diy PW-sMD. Really nervous, after testing many chances pin by pin, and pluging both conectors in my tascam MSR-24 and ATS-500, i turn on both devices ... and my concern ends... No electric sparks ... no smoke ...
Few minutes later, in "code only master" mode, using a Cooper PPS-100 as smpte generator, I drove a smpte stripped tape in my MSR-24 through my ATS-500 an my DIY 1 meter PW-5MD ... seeing it is wonderful!

Remarks:
After the 1 meter cable I made a 3.7 one (12 feets) and it works nice too.
I have only one MSR, then, I used my diy PW-5MD to slave it.
I think that the ATS Acc2 master has less requirements (for example: don't need the control servo wire)

Thanks to Rick Fitzpatrick, thanks to the forum, thanks to Homerecording
Sorry for my bad english.
Wald

Hello!
Using your drawing, years ago I built two cables for the ATS-500. Now, loading new tapes, my TSR-8 and my MSR-16 run fine with "your" cable.
Thanks Rick!

Last edited:
Hello!
Using your drawing, years ago I built two cables for the ATS-500. Now, loading new tapes, my TSR-8 and my MSR-16 run fine with "your" cable.
Thanks Rick!

In accordance with this diagram I built two cables for to sync my MSR-24 to my TSR8 (or viceversa) using an ATS500. All work fine.
Thanks Rick!

Back