$500 vinyl LPs....?

That's insane!

I have a couple of spare copies of DSOTM if he wants to buy them. I'll take $250 and he can sell them for $500 :laughings:

Some crazy prices, that's for sure.

Kind of related in the timing, but last night going through my vinyl, I found an unopened copy of Tom Petty's first record.
The woman says "shouldn't you check on ebay and see what it's worth first?"

Screw it! I opened it and put it on the turntable......Pure bliss! That first listen was worth any potential value lost.:D

Crazy - how do they determine the copy is from the 'first presses' of the master? And these days where do pristine copies come from? I'd sell my vinyl in a heartbeat if I could get 1/10 of those prices!

They use a dual-column gas chromatograph, Hewlett-Packard model 5710a with flame analyzing detectors.

Grins.. Love that movie :)

Now, let's say you go ahead and pay 500 for this disk and diamond scraping over soft fine plastic being what it is.. That means the sound and value, go down.. 50% after the first play? Another 20% each after..

Like anything else, the right person at the right time, and lets face it if you can prove its a 1st pressing and someone is willing to pay, I say go for it, why not the internet has ruined sooo many good things, ...In a sane world I should not be able to sell a NOS luggage rack for a 71 Dodge Charger for 10k...but there is a market for em if you have. Lots of the MOPAR stuff I have unloaded over the last 20 years came with parts cars and scrap cars I've bought or traded over the years.......if you hold on to it long enough there is a good chance the right wallet will open up for it.
just sold a 70 Black on Black AAR Cuda, 35k mile car mild resto for high 5digits, and why , its a Plymouth for gods sake, they were crappy cars new and they don't drive near as nice as a modern car...yeah its fun to row thru the gears, but my SRT 10 truck will beat this AAR in every category...well may except resale but who knows 20 years from now it might be worth it.

Pretty crazy. I'm guessing the guy selling these "First Press" albums of dubious origin might have an eBay account too... 9guitar "The Flower Pot Guy." :)

There's a sucker born every minute. It's nearly impossible to prove that something is "First Press," not to mention proving it hasn't been played just enough to remove the glow of first press.

"His wares are carefully sourced from thrift stores and sites like eBay..." Yeah... right. :facepalm:

Back in the day, about 25 years ago, I bought a 1/2 speed mastered, Japanese pressing of DSOTM and paid what seemed like an outrageous price of $20 for it.

Was in a second hand, higher end record shop a few months back and asked the owner of the store what it was worth today. He said, if it was in excellent shape, he'd ask $40 for it and offered me 40% of his retail price if I wanted to sell it. $500 is over the moon bonkers. :D

Cheers! :)

Audio VooDoo always makes me giggle. I will grant that some LPs could sound phenomenal but not $500 worth. Some provenance linking it directly to Roger Waters or whatever I could ALMOST understand but a virgin pressing ain't worth that.

Pretty crazy. I'm guessing the guy selling these "First Press" albums of dubious origin might have an eBay account too... 9guitar "The Flower Pot Guy." :)

There's a sucker born every minute. It's nearly impossible to prove that something is "First Press," not to mention proving it hasn't been played just enough to remove the glow of first press.

"His wares are carefully sourced from thrift stores and sites like eBay..." Yeah... right. :facepalm:
no .... that guy's been around for quite a while. I'm a Stereophile subscriber and I remember when he first came on the scene.
It's not just which pressing ..... he listens and grades each and every single copy after cleaning with a big money record cleaner. The ones he charges a lot for are the ones that are super quiet with no signs of damage and harshness caused by say, a mistracking stylus.

He's definitely not a fly-by-night guy.
That's why some pressing that he sells for good money might only cost 20 bucks in your local record store.
Not saying they're worth it but I'm a fairly serious collector and there are certain records that I'd scrape up a couple hundred for a great copy of.
As for how you can find pristine records from back then ...... you'd be surprised how many records just never got played but once or twice. I find pristine vinyl all the time in used record stores.

Audio VooDoo always makes me giggle. I will grant that some LPs could sound phenomenal but not $500 worth. Some provenance linking it directly to Roger Waters or whatever I could ALMOST understand but a virgin pressing ain't worth that.
to you ....... see, the very thing that you suggested might make it worth that to you would mean absolutely nothing whatsoever to me. I couldn't care less if it came direct from him or not ...... what some people pay for is the sound quality or the perception of same.

These things are totally a matter of personal desires .... you can't say that it isn't worth it to anyone .... you can only say that it's not worth it to you.

I've bought 3 new LPs in the last 6 months - nothing over AUS$30. One was on white vinyl and signed by the entire band (New Christs), another was from Nakatira's band & the other I bought because I had all of the other LPs by the band so though, at that price, why not.
The most I've paid is $150 for a Neil Young test pressing of Decade because my wife is a NY nut.
For me, about $50 for a Pere Ubu 12" EP Data Panik in the Year Zero. Very rare at the time and in mint condition.
I enjoy the sound and ritual of LPs. "vinyls" are trendy at present - people paying big $ in Oz for all sorts of stuff and then playing them o $45 USB turntables and others who have 9 copies of Sgt Pepper's with 1st pressings in a variety of countries.
I have to admit to owning a cople or three LPs that have only been played once or twice. This happened more in the 70s when I bought an LP, recorded it onto chrome TDK cassettes and played the tapes to death before rerecording a tape.

The most I've ever paid for a record was about $85 for Del Shannon's 'Further Adventures of Charles Westover' ... mainly because it's one of the greatest records of all time, super rare, fairly sought-after, and has not been reissued.

If you had really precious disks, wouldn't you want to bounce it to digi to preserve it?.. assuming it was for playing rather than just collecting?

Back