424mkIII transport issue - won't play...please help

Rodney Winsor

Hi -

I bought a 424mkIII a while ago and I'm almost sure it hasn't been used much. It looks mint. Perhaps I didn't test it as thoroughly as I should've, months ago when purchased. Or perhaps it has developed a fault in storage since then (seems a little unlikely but not impossible).

Regardless, the problem is that the play function is knackered. It's as though it hasn't got the strength to pass tape over the heads. It will go into play mode for a second or two - although no signal from a pre-recorded tape is audible - then it flicks out of play mode.

I've taken the back off to see if there is any obvious problem with e.g. belts. I see two belts - a large one and a smaller, thinner one. Both are fine, and turn freely.

So - it's very hard to know what's wrong with this f***er. But I would love to get it running because these are my favourite machines. This is my sixth.

. . . I would love to get it running because these are my favourite machines. This is my sixth.

LOL ! . . Reminds me of a friend with a International Harvester Scout fetish. . . He loved them regardless of how many times he was left behind off-roading. . .

I wish I could help you, because I like them also, but mine, which is maybe 8 years old, is still working at 100%, so I've never had any trouble. . . Have you checked the cassette itself? Tried another tape?. . . . If it's not spooling freely, as you probably already know, the play will stop.

Just because the belt is on doesn't mean it's pulling properly.

When the 424mkIII powered on, the capstan spins at all times. That's the little metal shaft that the rubber pinch roller contacts to move tape when you press Play or Record.

Turn on the unit and feel with your fingers if the capstan is spinning. You may be able to stop the spinning motion by grasping it with 2 fingers and moderate to hard pressure, however, if you can stop the spinning motions by grasping it with mild pressure, it would appear that the capstan belt may need replacement. If it's not spinning at all, it would be obvious.

Having looked inside already, you should be able to see the bigger belt around the large flywheel on one end and around the smaller motor pulley on the other end.

Also check that the pinch wheel itself moves up to fully contact the capstan when you press Play. This can be done more accurately by pressing the cassette-in-place swich, being the leftmost tab in the upper part of the cassette compartment.

If this is your 6th 424mkIII, you should be well familiar with it, but why 6? Did they break on you and get replaced? I'll admit I have 4, but that's a whole other post!

:spank::eek:;)

LOL ! . . Reminds me of a friend with a International Harvester Scout fetish. . . He loved them regardless of how many times he was left behind off-roading. . .

I wish I could help you, because I like them also, but mine, which is maybe 8 years old, is still working at 100%, so I've never had any trouble. . . Have you checked the cassette itself? Tried another tape?. . . . If it's not spooling freely, as you probably already know, the play will stop.

Haha - yeah that's me. Stick with what you know - even if what you know is hell. ; - )

But yeah - I tried various tapes from brand new SA90s to older more seasoned cassettes. Damn near broke my heart. : - (

Last edited:
When the 424mkIII powered on, the capstan spins at all times. That's the little metal shaft that the rubber pinch roller contacts to move tape when you press Play or Record.

Turn on the unit and feel with your fingers if the capstan is spinning. You may be able to stop the spinning motion by grasping it with 2 fingers and moderate to hard pressure, however, if you can stop the spinning motions by grasping it with mild pressure, it would appear that the capstan belt may need replacement. If it's not spinning at all, it would be obvious.

Having looked inside already, you should be able to see the bigger belt around the large flywheel on one end and around the smaller motor pulley on the other end.

Also check that the pinch wheel itself moves up to fully contact the capstan when you press Play. This can be done more accurately by pressing the cassette-in-place swich, being the leftmost tab in the upper part of the cassette compartment.

If this is your 6th 424mkIII, you should be well familiar with it, but why 6? Did they break on you and get replaced? I'll admit I have 4, but that's a whole other post!

:spank::eek:;)

Thanks for the help - I'll try to make those checks. As for why I have 6 - it's a combination of things. I guess I've averaged about 1.2 per yer having bought my first one new some 9 years ago.

I have found these machines to be extremely easy to use (a massive plus point for me - I work fast and am a fan of first or early takes, and am not a perfectionist by any stretch of the imagination - I never have used the loc point programming), with a range of excellent and v. useful features (vari speed, optional NR, 4 direct outs, sweepable mids, choice of high or normal tape speeds, etc, etc,). However, in my not inconsiderable experience the 424mkiii is utterly plagued by poor build quality. Even my first one would not track well on the high speed setting - tending to have pitching problems intermittently. Having said that, when it behaved it did turn out some very personally satisfying results. It must have. The fact that I'm still completely addicted to home recording attests to that.

Common weaknesses with used 424mkIIIs -

i). The monitor output RCA terminals are loose in the chassis and v. wobbly, resulting in intermittent connection issues

ii). Frequency response varies by track - e.g. a signal recorded to track 1 will be duller (and probably lower in signal level) than one recorded to track 2

iii). Pitching problems when recording at high speed - the transport motor's inconsistent speed creates what we used to call "wow" issues on recorded signals i.e. slight increases and decreases in pitch

I digress. One of my biggest regrets is not buying 5 of them new - then I'm sure I could've side stepped all the bullshit units I seem to have got lumbered with from eBay. In retrospect I would've starved myself and gone without furniture to get new ones, 10 years ago.

I have found these machines to be extremely easy to use (a massive plus point for me - I work fast and am a fan of first or early takes. . .

One of my biggest regrets is not buying 5 of them new - then I'm sure I could've side stepped all the bullshit units I seem to have got lumbered with from eBay. In retrospect I would've starved myself and gone without furniture to get new ones, 10 years ago.

I, too, love the way you can work fast. . I write songs often on the fly, and they don't stand in the way of creativity. . .

Not too long ago there was a New In Box on ebay. . .I passed 'cause mine is working fine, but I passed thinking, "For how long?". . .

I, too, love the way you can work fast. . I write songs often on the fly, and they don't stand in the way of creativity. . .

Not too long ago there was a New In Box on ebay. . .I passed 'cause mine is working fine, but I passed thinking, "For how long?". . .

Yeah man. It's just a matter of time. : - (

Back