4 track analogue lofi RULES!!!!

Sgt. Peppers was done on a 4 track. (of course, it was with 1" tape.)

There's a lot of low-cost 4-track options that will give you pretty damn good results. (anything BUT lo-fi) Of course, if you want the sound of tape hiss to be as dominant as the music itself, that's cool. I respect music as art, and your art is your gig.

If you ever have a change of heart about fidelity, just say it here and hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction :)

-callie-

I think most of these people who get involved with this constant bickering about what's best for this or that, are people who just aren't artists. My long gone friends and I used to use a couple of 2 tracks to make our recordings. It's all we could afford but at least we were doing our art.

I'm all about 4-track lofi,...

or at least I try to be!

A lot of my stuff becomes 4-track hifi, despite myself, but I've invested downward in a Porta02mkII and an MF-P01 to compensate!

If you think I'm kidding, I'm not! :eek: ;)

Cheers!;)

PS: I like your backward tracking. Also, the Myspace site doesn't do justice to the recordings, as it's obviously an ultra-lofi mp3 encoding on the streaming play. I've not done a full download for comparison.

Anyway, the case about overwhelming tape hiss is vastly overstated, in general, and I generally don't dig the "come back when you're ready to do some real recording"- types of posts,... but to each their own!

Bye!

monty said:
I think most of these people who get involved with this constant bickering about what's best for this or that, are people who just aren't artists. My long gone friends and I used to use a couple of 2 tracks to make our recordings. It's all we could afford but at least we were doing our art.

I think that there's definitely a place for opinions (and sometimes arguments) over gear, for discussion forums are just that, but you're right that doing the best with what you have, be it cassette, reel or whatever and using it creatively is what it's all about. I still remember using 2 kenwood cassette decks to do my earlier recordings, when I first started out. Here, on this board, one can get so very distracted by talking and arguing over equipment and not doing enough recording, but again, this is a discussion forum.

~Daniel

There's no direct correlation between analog 4-tracking and Lo-Fi.
However, sure, Lo-Fi can be achived using analog 4-track recorder - in a 'specific way' ;).

Dr ZEE said:
There's no direct correlation between analog 4-tracking and Lo-Fi.

Good point Dr. You could say a 4 track cassette is "lo-fi" but a 4 track reel that the Beatles used, for example, is as hi-fi as you could/can get. It all depends on tape speed, track width and electronics used in the recorder. Most often than not, a reel to reel is going to be hi-fi and a cassette lo-fi, tho BOTH can sound exceptional, in the hands of a competent musician/engineer.

~Daniel

monty said:
I think most of these people who get involved with this constant bickering about what's best for this or that, are people who just aren't artists.

Every artist knows allots of thing which are good or bad for this or for that from his/her personal artistic life experience. Some of them love to blah blah about it it... some don't. ..and so they do or don't ;)

Some people are not artists, and some of them too love to blah blah about all sorts of things, including arts :)... and so they do.

Dr ZEE said:
Every artist knows allots of thing which are good or bad for this or for that from his/her personal artistic life experience. Some of them love to blah blah about it it... some don't. ..and so they do or don't ;)

Some people are not artists, and some of them too love to blah blah about all sorts of things, including arts :)... and so they do.

...and thus, if I may add, there is no direct colleration between "bickering" and whether one may or may not be an artist. ;)

~Daniel

cjacek said:
...and thus, if I may add, there is no direct colleration between "bickering" and whether one may or may not be an artist. ;)

~Daniel

...and thus, if I may add, there is no direct colleration between "bickering" and whether one may or may not be who or what ever, except for whether one may or may not be a bickerer ;)
:D :D :D

Dr ZEE said:
...and thus, if I may add, there is no direct colleration between "bickering" and whether one may or may not be who or what ever, except for whether one may or may not be a bickerer ;)

:D :D :D :D :D

cjacek said:
Marketing hype. :D

Yep! :) ... And it's "Good for CD" ... what ever that may mean LOL... basically it's good for you and for all ... so it's good to buy :D

Dr ZEE said:
Yep! :) ... And it's "Good for CD" ... what ever that may mean LOL... basically it's good for you and for all ... so it's good to buy :D

Sony probably got this guy working for 'em: ;)

Attachments

• image621216x.jpg
    image621216x.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 96
cjacek said:
Sony probably got this guy working for 'em: ;)

hahah ! I can hear/see Don saying:
"Why on earth would anyone want to record anything anywhere else on anything else????!, when you can record anything and EVERYTHING on tiny Sony HF cassette right at your tiny apartament. I did it! You can do it!. Do It! - and It will change your life FOREVER!"

Dr ZEE said:
hahah ! I can hear/see Don saying:
"Why on earth would anyone want to record anything anywhere else on anything else????!, when you can record anything and EVERYTHING on tiny Sony HF cassette right at your tiny apartament. I did it! You can do it!. Do It! - and It will change your life FOREVER!"

Yup, you pretty much captured Don's delivery. :D

Back