4 buss mixer with 8 track recorder - how do i connect these?

vas_nas

hello to all,

I've got a Tascam 208 with 4x buss outs that i have to connect to a Tascam DA98 with 8x (DSUB) outs and ins.

[1] Any suggestions on how to connect these two together using the fewest cables and/or cable-switching possible? Links to useful cables would help. I want to avoid a constant back-n-forth unplugging of the first 1-4 tracks from mixer's PGM outs to then connect the 5-8's etc.
[2] Any ideas why there are two RCA PGM outs per track? Are they in stereo?

Please refer to the attached photo.
Thank you in advance!
Vas

Attachments

• Tascam Mixer & Recorder.jpg
    Tascam Mixer & Recorder.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 41
Use a combo of the four bus outs (assignable as needed)for the most used duties, and four TRS inserts as sends for the rest. You'd still likely have to do some swapping depending but it will also get you eight sends.

2 outputs per buss is common. It allows you to feed all 8 channels without repatching. As long as you never need to record more than 4 channels at once, it works out fine. Typically, the buss to track assignments are: 1 to 1 & 5; 2 to 2 & 6; 3 to 3 & 7; 4 to 4 & 8.

I used to use a 208 and a 38 together as an 8-track system. It came from my Dad's voice-over studio. I know he had two M208's for 8 track recording, but I believe, and it's been a while, that I used the program (bus) outs, panned hard left and right on alternate channels, to send 4 tracks at once. I could only do 4 tracks simultaneously. So I tended to record drums to 4 tracks, bounce down to 2, and continue on like that until I had used up my 8 tracks. For mix-down, I had the outputs of the 38 patched to the tape ins on each channel. For true 8 outputs to 8 tracks on the tape, you need 8 buses out. Two M208's like my Dad used (thought he rarely needed to do 8 at a time), or an M216 or similar 8 bus board.

The problem you are going to run into is the buss outs on the M-208 are -10dbV,(316mv),unbalanced,while the DA-98 is a +4dbM,(1.23 V),balanced.You would be underdriving the DA-98-couldn't reach 0VU.Also returning the output of the DA-98 would overdrive the line/tape inputs of the M-208.What you need going forward with this setup would be getting either two Tascam LA-40 -10 to +4 converters,(4 channels bi-directional)cheaper-, or a Tascam LA-80 and LA-81 combo, which are eight channel one direction only-more expensive.If you don't need four mic ins at a time,a Tascam TMD 1000 digital mixer-wayyyy cheap on Ebay- would send and return the TDIF in/out to the DA-98 with one cable.Plus the TMD-1000 has built in effects.If you want the M-208 for the"analog" sound,you may as well go all the way and get a eight track cassette or open reel recorder-or use a good quality mic pre connected directly to the DA-98.

Last edited:
Thank you wkrbee! I would have never checked for that, as i'm new to recording.

[1] According to Tascam DA98's manual you can assign any Input to any Tape Track.
So, given that flexibility & and my limited budget (i cannot afford the LA-40/80's),
could i use the mixer's XLR pgm outs (nom.level 0dBu / 0.8V) instead of the RCA out's?

[2] And with regards to the tape returns, couldn't i just TRIM the signal in order to control the overdrive you mentioned?

Thanks again

Attachments

• Tascam Mixer & Recorder [2].jpg
    Tascam Mixer & Recorder [2].jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 11
Thank you wkrbee! I would have never checked for that, as i'm new to recording.

[1] According to Tascam DA98's manual you can assign any Input to any Tape Track.
So, given that flexibility & and my limited budget (i cannot afford the LA-40/80's),
could i use the mixer's XLR pgm outs (nom.level 0dBu / 0.8V) instead of the RCA out's?

[2] And with regards to the tape returns, couldn't i just TRIM the signal in order to control the overdrive you mentioned?

Thanks again

The program outs MAY work,but you would still not be able to drive the Da-98 up to 0VU-,8 volts vs.1.23 volts,and I believe the "trims' only work with the mic inputs.But it wouldn't hurt to try.

Back