388 Tape Transport issue....Video incl.

j.harv

@#$%
Just want to ask opinions on this.
This is my second 388 that I just put into service. I had this one set up by a tech, but forgot to mention to him about this transport issue. I pretty much told him to just deal with aligning the heads and check levels and bias etc... This has been happening since I first got it. The tension arms seem to jump around when I stop it after rewinding. When I use the RTZ function, it jumps just before it stops, and then jumps up after it stops. I don't have a tentelo to check it with. Im wondering if the tension is set too high and If so, could I just reduce it a touch using the adjustment points. I have adjusted R112 and R212 to even out the arms, but thats about it. Things just seem to be handling a little rough.
Any opinions????

Got a stopwatch?

Not exactly sure here but the only thing that comes to mind initially is to check the rewind tine for a full reel of tape verses a fast wind for a full reel. If the rewind speed is appreciably faster, then it might be the supply reel motor is getting a bit more juice then the take up motor or that the supply side brakes are a bit off to the soft side allowing the motor to park the tape tighter, making the left tension arm dance more.

Cheers! :)

Back