3340s pinch roller

uzizit

Can anybody help me with this. I inherited this great machine only prob is tight moving pinch roller. I've got machine half apart but still can't get at mechanism.. Help :confused:

Sluggish pinch-roller syndrom :)
If you have the back panel off and look to the left of the fly-wheel you will find a bracket that goes across the fly-wheel assembly.( see photo)
If you take the wire-loom off and that phillips screw, you find a outer and inner sleeve.
Use light machine oil like sewingmachine oil or gun-oil and use 2-3 drops.
Heat the outer sleeve with a soldering iron (30 watts) and engage the pinch-roller by hand up and down until there is no hesitations in the movement.
Be careful so you don't burn any cables etc when doing this.
Afterwards put a few drops on the tape lifter linkage pivot points (also from the backside) they are close to the base and can easy be found when you lift the pinch-roller up, a two man operation make it simple for you.
After the pinch-roller moves easy, put the phillips screw back but don't tighten it too much, just snug it.
Of course unplug the unit before doing this "surgery" and leave the solenoid as it is, don't try adjust or oil.

Plug it back in and enjoy some sweet tunes.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays :cool:
Photo 3340 S Service Manual

Hello Rolf. We havnt seen you around much. Nice to see you back on the old analog forum. :)

Go on! I defy anybody to tell me of a sweeter sound than a newly oiled 3340s pinch roller snapping into place...

Mission accomplished.. Many thanks again for pic and info Vintage..This baby is going in the studio alongside my 246...I should have fun..
Now if some one can give me a brief description of simul-sync opposed to normal I should be on my way.. I'm quite experienced at multi tracking on the 246 I've had for years.. Cheers and thanks again. :D :cool:

Simul-sync simply allows you to monitor from the record head. It won't sound very good, but at least you'll be in time with your previously recorded tracks.

No-latency analog monitoring. Imagine that. It was a big deal when it came on those machines though.

BTW I had the same stiff pinch-roller issue when I got my 3340. It was the old grease that had coagulated, and was sticky as contact cement. I disassembled the entire mechanism, cleaned, and re-lubed it with high-quality grease. Good as new.

Back