16 track reel to reels..

I have a friend who has an Ampex 24 track 2" that is not
running and he offered it to me for 1000.00. I dont know
if that is a good price? He is in New Rochelle NY; if anyone
is interested contact my email I hardly ever read in analog.
I think it is my first time. I read that analog was dead in
another forum and I wanted to come see. I find it is not so. It was once said that tubes were dead but I still feel their warmth today.

2" analog unit

Dragonworks

I'm very interested in a 2" unit.
Lets talk some more. What state
is this unit in ? I'm in Carolina.

Chuck

analog info formats

There was a model between the 85-16 and the ATR60/16. This model that uses 90% + parts of the ATR60/16 was the MS16.
There were various speed of this machine but it sounds great. With the ATR the last of the open reels tascam manufactured the parts are still supported. These parts are including heads, caps, rollers etc. The MS16 ran at 15 IPS and had DBX but you could by the unit without the DBX and use "single ended noise reduction" This worked great. There was also a unit that ran at 30IPS (tape eater)but no noise reduction required.
I see the MS16 units (just the base unit) no DBX, Locater etc on sale for around 1500.00. The "full" unit goes for about 2500.00 to 3500.00 depending on heads and if lapped. This is a pro format 1 in 16 track with calb. cards, balanced in/out, has sync and is a work monster. The lapping for the heads (when the time comes)cost 300.00
and you get 50% of head wear again then lap again 25% so the heads with a calb tape can last along time. I have owned 2 of these machines and they sound great. I would recommend these to anyone. THe tape cost is 70.00 for about 32 min (ampex 499 is nice - low noise floor)at 15 IPS

MS16 TASCAM

Hi Paulie,

I like analog too. My first album was digital
and the experience drove me to the analog world.
I think the essence of an acoustic guitar can
only stand up boldly and warmly in the analog
format. I have used a Fostex 8 track 1/4 "
reel since my digital experience. I like it.
I use a M147 Neumann mic and have been
satisfied. I am now needing more tracks, so I
am moving up to a MS16 tascam 1" reel unit next
week. Hope I can deal quickly with the learning
curve. I know the opinions vary between the digital
and analog worlds. I found my comfort in the analog
camp and wish the same for those in the digital camp.

Chuck

Previous Post:
And are these the units that pro studios use...cause I know a lot of recording studios still use reel to reel (for example, Steve Albini does),

Steve Albini's studio uses a 24 track Studer machine which takes 2" tape. Studer still manufacture reel to reel machines.

Just to add my 2 cents on the whole issue, i switched from a digital portastudio to a Fostex 1/4" reel to reel 8 track and haven't regretted it for a minute.

Before you buy though, make sure the unit is in good condition.

Do you know exactly what model number he uses? Steve Albini is an engineer who has recorded some of my favorite bands (Nirvana, the Pixies, the Bennies), and I admire him greatly. I know he uses reel to reel, now I know what brand and # of tracks...got the model number too?

Nashville approach

I hear the popular approach in
Nashville is analog first, then into
pro tools or some software editing.
Their using 1" & 2" units. I'm presently
chasing down a Tascam MS16. I'm analog
all the way and love it. I have laid
down some sweet tracks with my 1/4"
fostex M80 and feel it is right up there
in quality. Ya know, the 1/4" & 1/2"
units can stand up to the big boys when
in experienced hands. I just need more
tracks.

Chuck

Steve Albini

Well, according to the insert of the Uranus 7" single by Shellac (the absolutely awesome band that albini plays in), it's a Studer A-80VU Mk.2 (with Mk. 3 upgrade) 2" 24 track.

hope this helps.

gjhardwick said:
Previous Post:
And are these the units that pro studios use...cause I know a lot of recording studios still use reel to reel (for example, Steve Albini does),

Steve Albini's studio uses a 24 track Studer machine which takes 2" tape. Studer still manufacture reel to reel machines.

Just to add my 2 cents on the whole issue, i switched from a digital portastudio to a Fostex 1/4" reel to reel 8 track and haven't regretted it for a minute.

Before you buy though, make sure the unit is in good condition.

Yeah, but you're talking about a STUDER machine.
I've seen Studer 2 tracks that wre going for about $10 Grand!

We're talking about what are really "Semi-Pro" Machines.
A new Studer 2"-24 track Machine is probably close to $100,000.00 bucks!(Or More-I bnever bothered to price one, since I knew I could never afford it.)

It's like saying "I'm going to install a 56-channel SSL mixer in my homestudio, with a 128 Channel frame; so that I can eventually expand to 128 channels."

Tim

ermmmmm...

TIM:

A new Studer 2"-24 track Machine is probably close to $100,000.00 bucks!(Or More-I bnever bothered to price one, since I knew I could never afford it.)

It's like saying "I'm going to install a 56-channel SSL mixer in my homestudio, with a 128 Channel frame; so that I can eventually expand to 128 channels."

tim, i was answering someone's question, i wasn't saying buy a Studer machine.

Read the thread more carefully.

Re: ermmmmm...

gjhardwick said:
TIM:

tim, i was answering someone's question, i wasn't saying buy a Studer machine.

Read the thread more carefully.

I know you were not saying buy a Studer.
What I'm saying is you can not Compare a Studer to a Tascam or Fostex. Other than the fact that they both have reels-there is really nothing in common-that's the point I was making.

Tim

I've used a Fostex A-8 for 5-6 years now and like others on this topic can get a jaw-dropping sound out of it. A lot of it has to do with your recording technique. Experiment until you learn how hard you can hit the tape. I slam everything on there well into the reds and it comes back clean, warm, dynamic and with minimal hiss.

Another point--the Dolby/DBX on consumer grade tape decks truly is garbage and I always turn it off--it ruins the sound. Even on high end consumer decks. However, the NR on the later prosumer r-r decks is in a different class and it works. No pumping, breathing, artifacts, just clean dynamic sound.

agreed, the Fostex A8 is a great piece of kit.

only complaint is that it only has four inputs, making live band recording a little tricky, but a bit of creativity with my recording technique can get around that problem with ease...

gjhardwick said:

only complaint is that it only has four inputs, making live band recording a little tricky, but a bit of creativity with my recording technique can get around that problem with ease...

I've got an A-8; it was my first open reel machine, I've used it for years, but you are not going to get the same frequecy range on tape as you will with a 2" Machine running at 15" ips.
I mean, that's just a fact. The A-8 was designed from the start to be a HOMR recording unit-The ads that they were running back then stated that the unit was deasigned for home use, and corners had been cut.
That said, I still like the unit, and generally have hung on to, because I'm just too tight to sell it.
So, it sits on top of a Rack full of Digital recorders; I've thought about testing it to see if I could use it for an Analog Tape Delay.

For Example-I use 28" kick drums.
There are frequencies invloved in it's "sound" that I had to BOOST on the A-8. These were fundamental in my reason for using 28" Kicks- the difference between a 28" Kick and a 24", seems to be about the difference between a 13" tom and a 24"kick.
There is a major amount of 80Hz and below in this drum, and I mean it has such a SOLID impact that it's amazing.
In Digital, I find I have to roll off the low end a little bit on playback, where in Analog-I had to boost the lows with a parametric EQ, at least 3-6 db's. That may not seem like much to you guys, but when it's part of MY SOUND(Since I am the Drummer), then it's of importance to me.

Try cutting playing your guitar or bass's low frequency set at -6 db@ 100 Hz.
Doesn't sound so great, huh?

I'm not sure what the A-8's range is (Mine has a completely new headblock on it-less than 30 hours on the block-but I don't think it will go below 40hz.
We tested my Kicks with some test equipment (thanks to a friend who's a physicist) and they were easily going below 15 Hz.
I had run them through my specturm Analyzer, but it only goes down to 20Hzm, and I wanted to see how much lower they would go-and they went alot lower.
I just want to be able to capture it all-that's why I chose Digital.

Tim

Honey, I Fried the Woofers.....

You're gonna have to roll some of that off anyway if it's part of a CD that you want people to play on their home systems (or at least put a warning label on 'em.)

gjhardwick said:

Not mine! I have an A-8LR, with eight inputs. I assume the LR means "Live Recording". :-)

Oh, and Tapehead: The dBx noise reduction on my Yamaha MT2X ROCKS. It's clear transparent and removes all hints of tape hiss!

I use a Tascam 85-16B in my studio I feel that 1 inch machines have the best of both worlds. Three days ago I bought a fostex B=16 from a local music store I got it for 300. I figured I could tune it up and make some money on it. It has Dolby-C built in.Now that I have finished the tuneup and heard what it is capable of I dont want to sell it. I cant believe this sound from half inch tape. This is a pro sounding porta studio if there ever was one.

1/4" vrs 1" reels

Hi Paulie,

Since your used to the larger tape machines,
do you think there is much difference between
a 1/4" vrs a 1" machine ? I'm switching from
a 1/4" eight track unit and going to a 16 track
1" machine next week. I havn't heard it yet, but
I'm switching for more tracks only. Do you think
the quality will be much better ? I'm concerned that
I'll want to redo all my previous work, instead of
just transferring the tracks. The 1/4" has done
a great job for me.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, What type of machine are you getting. The larger tape will give you more consistant quality.Less dropouts. And can possibly be setup for 499 or GP-9 tape. Having 3 heads make setting bias and levels a pleasure.The electronics will be far superior to the small machine. Paulie.

Back