$150 to much?

blazingstrings

dgatwood can **** himself
Hey guys I saw a Tascam 488 in a shop today for $150.
Is that too much to pay for one?
What should I look out for?

Thanks

-Blaze

Is it the MKII? Either way I think that's a great price in very good condition. Put a tape in it and test the record and playback on each track.

One of the easiest ways to do this is bring in one of your favorite CDs, then record stereo (two tracks at a time) then play it back. While you're playing it back fiddle with the EQ and levels to make sure they all work.

This is a lot easier than tying to describe headwear in a forum. Also ask questions about how many hours are on it, if known.

I’m not intimately familiar with the 488, but I’m sure someone will be along with more specific pros, cons and known issues.

-Tim

Last edited:
Beck said:
Is it the MKII? Either way I think that's a great price in very good condition. Put a tape in it and test the record and playback on each track.

One of the easiest ways to do this is bring in one of your favorite CDs, then record stereo (two tracks at a time) then play it back. While you're playing it back fiddle with the EQ and levels to make sure they all work.
-Tim
Do yourself a favor and check ALL of the Group Outs at the same time. The 488 is known for losing Group Outs 1/2 but 3/4 will still work fine and can be used as stereo outs even after 1/2 are DOA.

You can test-record onto 4-tracks simultaneously, in 2-pairs of stereo,...

with Group 1/2 and Group 3/4 buss routing.

$150 is a good price for the 488(std), and it would be awesome for the mkII. ;)

Back