1" MRL Tape on eBay...

wow, that's a nice deal actually.

Miroslav, have you got experience tracking on a 1'' tape? especially 24 tracks.
i've got my final year project coming up (audio engineering studies) , and planning on recording for the first time on the Tascam MSR24S. currently i'm in the process of getting all the extras (tapes, cal. tapes, schematics etc. ) and from what i see around, the 1'' format is a more rare one to come by. not as used as the 1/2'', 2'' and ofcourse the 1/4'', but maybe i just got a wrong impression?

I would aprreciate any inputs regarding using 1'' tape (brands, years etc.). anyhow the machine itself would go thru all the calibration process at a local ex-tascam engineer shop.

Nope...never used 1" tape.
I would expect that the good brands/formulations of 1" tape would be the same as they are for 1/4", 1/2", 2".

I use mostly Ampex/Quantegy 499 with my 2" deck...and on the 1/4" I use Basf/Emtec 468 and 911 (same thing when I had a 1/2" deck).
Ampex/Quantegy 456 is good if you can find the stuff made the last few years before they closed. There are probably several other formulations that are generally good...but these are the ones I'm mostly familiar with.

I've been seeing a bunch of 1" stuff on eBay lately, so you should key an eye out... but yeah, it's not as common.

oh sweet! definetley gonna watch some of the ads. ATR sells a new reel for 179$, together with shipping it's not a "casual" purchase. thanks!

Back