1 Inch video tape

My Name

Hi,

I have managed to get hold of a bunch of brand new 1 inch VIDEO reels. Does anyone know the difference between audio and video tape coz I have a 1" 8 track and was wondering if it was possible to record on the tape without damaging the machine.

If not, does anyone know anybody who would wantto take them off my hands.

Cheers

It is unlikely that you will damage the machine. It will probably sound crappy becuase the bias will be way off though. I am also not sure if the flanges on the video tape will fit the hubs on the audio deck. Give it a shot.

I'd give it a big fat no. Sound will likeley show up on the tape, but as that tape isn't designed for audio multitrackers, better just sell it to the video-cult market.

-callie-

Thanks chaps, I think I'll leave it and flog em (sell them) to someone.

I have no idea who would buy them but at least i got em for free ;)

Keep in mind, Type C video tape (which is what you have) is just about the BEST quality of magnetic video recording that exists. Many a television broadcast and VHS master were made using Type C video tape. Though it is not often used today, some people still use it, just as a reliable backup type of thing.

The only analog video format better than type C would be non-magnetic 24 frames/per/second film (like, FILM film). Not too familiar with FILM film though except for the fact that every frame is like a color photograph, in some way, so it must be a chemical format as opposed to a magnetic format. But enough about that.

If the tapes are in good shape, try your luck with the independent broadcast market. Or, if you're feeling REALLY bold (and/or bored), buy yourself a "brick", one of those type C video recorders, and have at it.

later
-callie-

Muckelroy said:
Keep in mind, Type C video tape (which is what you have) is just about the BEST quality of magnetic video recording that exists. Many a television broadcast and VHS master were made using Type C video tape.

I've heard that the BBC preferred Quad in terms of raw quality, although obviously it had its own operational difficulties and was expensive to run.
What C-format brought to the table was the ability to do stills and frame-by-frame recording.
It was extensively used in early computer animation for this reason. Things like 'Breaking the Ice' were rendered onto C-format in this manner.

Holy crap. 2 inch video tape -- that sounds like overkill on a stick. I guess that it's some pretty intense quality, though.

O yes, we have some of that at work. I have no idea what they have on there but you'd think it must be bloody 3D or somthing :o

Back