1/4" tape cost>?

antispatula

I was wondering how much one tape would cost. Someone is offering me about 75 tapes for 100 bucks. Is that good or bad? Thanks!

Last edited:
antispatula said:
I was wondering how much one tape would cost. Someone is offering me about 75 tapes for 100 bucks. Is that good or bad?
Depends on the kind of tape. If its old tape, especially old Ampex from the 80's, then you're really just buying old spools. I've seen tape sold on auction sites that's probably 40+ years old, old Emitape, Scotch etc. Given the price you're looking at I'm guessing that the tape you're looking at is similar, but if its reasonable tape (Maxell 35-90B, Zonal etc, or (unlikely) Quantegy) then it might be a good buy.

If its old like he said I think you would be better off to just spend your 100.00 on 5 or 6 new tapes. Why mess with it? Do you really need 75 tapes?

antispatula said:
I was wondering how much one tape would cost. Someone is offering me about 75 tapes for 100 bucks. Is that good or bad? Thanks!

What type of tape ? What is the name ? How big are the reels ? How many recording passes if tape is not new ? Details, details please. ;)

~Daniel

Back