1/4" tape compatability?

skateboardnaked

Analog experts,

I'm new to the "reel world" and I seek advice from the experienced.
Ive aquired a Teac X-300 open reel recently. I haven't had a chance to use it yet as I'm waiting on buying tape and a take up reel.

The bias/eq settings on the machine are for LHI, LHII or EE type tape.

My question is: Is the SM900, SM911 or LPR35 comparible to any of those tape types or the ones listed below? Or will I have to search E-bay for old tape stock? Will any tape really work, does it even matter?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Here is the chart in the X-300 manual:

LHI---------------
AGFA-PE36, PEM368
BASF-LP35, LPR-35LH
DENON-DX551
SCOTCH-177,207

LHII---------------
Maxell UD-35, XL35
Scotch1500,
Sony DUAD, ULH
TDK- AUDUA, GX35, LX45

EE----------------
BASF-LPR-35CR
MAXELL-UD-XLII
TDK-SA-35

LHI---------------
AGFA-PE36, PEM368
BASF-LP35, LPR-35LH
DENON-DX551
SCOTCH-177,207

LHII---------------
Maxell UD-35, XL35
Scotch1500,
Sony DUAD, ULH
TDK- AUDUA, GX35, LX45

EE----------------
BASF-LPR-35CR
MAXELL-UD-XLII
TDK-SA-35

Use 1mil tape only on this machine, which means RMGI-EMTEC LPR35, Quantegy 407, 457, Maxell UD-35 and Scotch 207. The LPR35 is currently in production and can be bought here:
http://www.splicit.com/recording_tape.html

The Quantegy tapes can still be bought online and eBay but they're no longer made.

The Maxell and Scotch are no longer made but can be bought on eBay. Buy only sealed.

Try any of the above tapes on all 3 settings, on your recorder and choose the setting which sounds best.

If it were me, I'd get several LPR35 tapes, along with a couple of take up reels, from splicit.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
LHI and LHII are slightly different bias levels for normal bias ferric tapes (Low-noise Hi-output). At slower speeds like 7.5 and 3.75 ips the bias needs of these tapes are more critical, so they have two different settings. Some machines have a fine bias setting as well.

EE is a higher bias and different EQ for tape that is no longer made for open reel. EE (Extra Efficiency) tape for reel-to-reel is roughly equivalent to CrO2 tape for cassette. Maxell XLII and TDK SA where made for open reel and were the same formulations they put in their cassettes, but on thicker tape of course.

For LHI use 3M/Scotch 207, Quantegy 407 and BASF LP35 LH HiFi.

And even though they are a bit hotter you can try RMGI LPR35 like cjacek said, and Quantegy 457 since they are bias compatible.

For LHII use Maxell UD 35-90 and XLI 35-90B

At 15 ips or higher you could use the above tapes interchangeably as far as bias, but as I mentioned, the slower the tape speed the farther apart tape bias settings become, so you see these sorts of controls on home hi-fi decks.

You can still find new-old-stock Maxell XLII 35-90 on eBay for the EE setting, but it will cost you because you’ll be bidding against audiophiles that believe it has “Magic powers.”

And be careful skateboarding naked... you'll shoot your eye out! ;)

Back