1/4" and 1/2" Tape Source

redplanet

I've searched previous threads for this info, but the only ones I've come across were over 10 years old and all of the links listed in them were no good anymore. I'm looking for a source for new 10.5" reels of 1/2" recording tape and 1/4" master tape. There's plenty of used stuff to be had on fleabay but you never know what you're getting with that stuff and I don't want to gum up my machines.
The only source I did find was here reel tape | Search Results | Full Compass but their prices are considerably higher than I've heard others talk about.
Am I just working off of old info and fullcompass is the only game left in town? Are these the prices that I should expect to pay for new tape these days? Any light that you guys could help shed on the subject would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Oh, P.S. I did move far and fast from that crusty Otari from my last post and I ended up coming across a Tascam 32 for a good price! It is on its way now and I can't wait to get it and start playing around. I made sure to send the seller a link to the thread on proper packaging so that I don't find a pile of Tascam parts on my porch (hopefully)

Type "new 1/4" tape" in google and places will pop up. Not sure how many dead links but you'll find it.

I don't have .5" so I can't speak on that, but I got some great tape through Splicit last month. They're a new company based out of the states. They sell their own formulas and have both pancake and reeled tape available. Pretty sure it's just 1/4" for now.

Type "new 1/4" tape" in google and places will pop up. Not sure how many dead links but you'll find it.

I don't have .5" so I can't speak on that, but I got some great tape through Splicit last month. They're a new company based out of the states. They sell their own formulas and have both pancake and reeled tape available. Pretty sure it's just 1/4" for now.

Fascinating. The Capture tape appears to be low output, along the lines of 406. That's definitely a gap in the market, e.g. for consumer machines, tape echoes or people trying to get that early 70s sound. For a Tascam 32 or 1/2" multitrack, something like RMGI/Pyral SM911 is more suitable. I don't know if the Tascam 32 can bias up to +9 or whatever ATR master tape is expecting.

Back