1/2 - 10 1/2 safe tape for MSR-16?

ron-e-g

I've been watching the flee-bay for 1/2 format used Quantegy 456 (or equivalent). I'm not seeing much. Is this a problem? I'm looking for used, as I just want to check the transport, and functions of a MSR-16, I just purchased.

Ron

Well, if you're just doing a basic test, consider also 499 (Ampex or Quantegy), or 406 (Quantegy, or Ampex after 1995 only). The machine won't be biased for that format so if you're going to adjust levels etc, probably better to get some RMGI SM911 (or is it Pyral these days?) or whatever you're intending to use for real work. But if you're just doing a basic function test and aren't too worried about the playback level being wrong vs recording, any of those would do the trick.

Emtec 911, which is equivalent (apparently) to the RMGI911

I always used 911 on my MSR unless someone brought in a Ampex 456. The Emtec 911 has good long life and low head wear unlike the Ampex 456.

Alan

Thanks,
jpmorris, and witzendoz for your replys. 1/2" tape is few, and far in-between right now.

Ron

How- bout Ampex 478 Low print. What's (low print)?

Slightly lower output than 406, I think. I'm not sure, but I read it was introduced after the Sticky Shed problems so it should work, at least for basic system tests. I wouldn't calibrate against it, though.
Ampex tape usually has a 5-digit batch code, e.g. 97170 where the first two digits are the year and the last three are the day. If there are pictures, e.g. an ebay listing, can you see the date? If it's 95xxx or later, go for it. If it's earlier than that I'd avoid it.

Yea, I remember that from the past. Thanks. People sure play stupid on eBay, when you ask for box numbers on tape!:facepalm:

I have my MSR 16 set up for the ATR Magnetics stuff.Of course it needs to be re-biased for the tape-but you can slam the tape,bury the meters and drums kill.

I have my MSR 16 set up for the ATR Magnetics stuff.Of course it needs to be re-biased for the tape-but you can slam the tape,bury the meters and drums kill.

I may be wrong, but I thought the idea was to get some cheap and cheerful 'burner' tape just to test the basic deck functions, rather than something crazy expensive.

I still think it might be worth skipping that stage and going directly to SM911 or whatever the deck is actually going to be used with.

Thanks wkrbee, That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

No..jp your not wrong. I'm probably not going to keep this machine. Bought it in a bundle (couldn't talk the previous owner out of any tape). So I don't even know if the transport functions properly yet. My first initial test wasn't good. Granted, I had the tension rollers tied up with string, and the counter roller missing. The supply motor ran clockwise (backwards), and the stop function, didn't work. I'm hoping, these things are related to the counter roller missing!

Back