Worth it?????

j.harv

@#$%
I just came across this Craigslist posting...Not too far from me.

The seller lists that the everything works but the reels won't spin.Also for an extra $100 he'll throw in the 8 channel mixer.
$250 for everything...doesn't seem bad, but gotta figure out if it would be an easy fix.

Tascam 38 8 track 1/2" tape machine

I saw that ad a while back and also thought it was a good deal so long as it wasn't a case of requiring two new reel motors which could end up being a 4-500 dollar repair...as a worse case scenario. Might also be something as simple as a blown fuse!?

Do you feel lucky? :D

Cheers! :)

Its worth the gamble, especially if you are handy with repairs. Only thing in the ad that stood out to me was the line about a 38 bringing a thousand dollars. Parts, including reel motors show up on da bay fairly regularly. I bought one for shits and giggles early last year, paid 150 for it, but it had an obviously gooey pinch roller, so wouldnt run. I built a mold here at work and recast the pinch roller in a higher grade elastomer and its been good ever since.

Good Luck!!!

Looks very clean!

If it's a gooed up brake solenoid not releasing the brakes, it might be a relatively easy fix.

Are we to know for sure if he has the tape threaded correctly? Sometimes a user will thread the tape between the lifters and the heads, which will also prevent the reels from turning.

:spank::eek:;)

Back