What a sweet sound from an MSR-16.....

I had an MSR-16 (actually mine is the MSR-16S with dolby S not DBX) as my main machine for years, recorded countless albums on it. Still have it but digital is mostly used today. The main problem I have with using it on projects today is the cost of tape, so digital wins. I do miss using tape.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

Have you ever thought of using the MSR16 as a 'poor man's CLASP' system, especially as you have the MX2424? I've just bought a few more MX2424 machines given the ridiculous price they're now fetching on Ebay as insurance against parts failure. The plan is to record to tape, then transfer to MX2424 for mixing and long-term storage. If the client wants to buy the tape, then sell it or re-use it for new recordings. It may well be that the difference between digital and analogue is still noticeable during the final mixing pass, and if so, I may well keep the tape for archive rather than re-using. The problem seems to be getting hold of 1/2" tape at the moment. I kick myself now for selling 30 reels of AGFA PEM 468 NOS about five years ago.
That's the other reason though for buying the MS-16 machines I have. There is a local supplier who is sitting on a large stash of 1" Quantegy tape which they sell at a reasonable price. I have around 20 reels which should keep me busy.

Al

Hi Alan,

Have you ever thought of using the MSR16 as a 'poor man's CLASP' system, especially as you have the MX2424? I've just bought a few more MX2424 machines given the ridiculous price they're now fetching on Ebay as insurance against parts failure. The plan is to record to tape, then transfer to MX2424 for mixing and long-term storage. If the client wants to buy the tape, then sell it or re-use it for new recordings. It may well be that the difference between digital and analogue is still noticeable during the final mixing pass, and if so, I may well keep the tape for archive rather than re-using. The problem seems to be getting hold of 1/2" tape at the moment. I kick myself now for selling 30 reels of AGFA PEM 468 NOS about five years ago.
That's the other reason though for buying the MS-16 machines I have. There is a local supplier who is sitting on a large stash of 1" Quantegy tape which they sell at a reasonable price. I have around 20 reels which should keep me busy.

Al

I used to run the MSR with the MX synced to it, recording all drums, bass and guitars on the MSR and vocals and extras on the MX, when tape was in short supply I moved to just the MX, I own 2 x MX's same as you I bought one cheap as a spare, I have got them synced together. I have thought about the Clasp thing but not been doing it at this stage.

Alan.

Back