Tsr8 oscillation when bouncing non adjacent tracks

doug deeper

Just got a tsr8 and I'm having an issue with oscillation when bouncing non adjacent tracks.
It can be any of them, for instance trying to bounce 1 and 2 to 8.
I can't get even get the level to zero before it happens.
Any ideas?

Do you meen feedback type stuff...?

Sounds like when you bounce, you are creating an audio loop.
Reevaluate your signal path....and how you have things set when you enable the bounce process.

I assume there is a mixer involved...?

Yeah, no feed back loop outside of the machine, I tried bouncing direct from one track of the machine to another and had the same problem.

I've also been recording analog for 20 years and have a good understanding of signal flow. This machine is just acting bonkers.

The computer in the corner is looking pretty tempting haha, help! ?

I can't grasp the specifics at the moment...memory is too fuzzy...but I recall experiencing this with one of my 1/2" 8-tracks years ago (a 48 or 58) and it was a relay issue. faulty relays allowing internal audio loops. I recall opening up relays and carefully cleaning the contacts with DeoxIT D5, but the ideal measure is to replace them.

Sorry to be vague...its just my memory of this is as such...vague. HTH.

maybe there's a way you can do a test on a couple channels by shorting the relay terminals that should be closed when in the given status state to see if that abates the issue?

I'm stretching my memory at this point, but...

I seem to vaguely recall on the Tascam 38 I'd get feedback when I bounced to an adjacent track, such as bouncing 5. 6 & 7 to Track 8. I attributed it to feedback developing in the head, itself. I'm also one who was intimately familiar with signal flow on my humble M-30. The feedback was in the head, not the patch between the mixer and recorder. If I bounced to a non-adjacent track things were fine.
:spank::eek:;)

Maybe that's what I'm recalling...but it was content dependent...like only material with significant HF content was a problem. Wow I wish I could remember what machine had the problem. I'm pretty sure I posted about it on this forum but it'd be many years back.

Is DBX enabled? What levels are you recording at? As an experiment the other day I switched off DBX and bounced a stereo drum track to channels 5 and 6 at stupid levels to see if I could get any interesting saturation effects.

I didn't like the results, but I was quite impressed that during recording it was showing up on the VU meters as far back as track 3. DBX really reduces the crosstalk.

It might be a calibration issue and especially so if the machine was set up to run at hotter levels which would emphasize the general issue of the narrower track width that a half inch 8 track operates at, which is half of what normal NAB standards are.

Indeed, dbx does help to manage the crosstalk but if the levels are out of whack, it can't work its usual magic.

I used to own a 38 and it exhibited that same issue if I pushed the levels.

YMMV

Cheers! :)

Just an interesting sidebar here, the track width of 1/2" 8-track is almost identical to 2" 24-track...but he width of the guard-band differs.

Can't bounce to adjacent tracks using a 38. Must have a gaurd track to do successful bounces. It's in the manual somewhere but it's been 30 years since I read it. I know the op was referring to a different machine but guys were talking about the 38

38 & TSR8 use the same head, so...

this issue & analysis would apply to both.

However, the OP was referring to feedback while bouncing to non-adjacent tracks, so is still a bit of a mystery.

:spank::eek:;)

Just a thought and its been awhile since I bounced any tracks. But if you are using dbx could you be trying to get to much out of the machine?
Tascam does not recomend levels of 0 when using dbx. Does the machine work if you bring the levels back to say 7 or 8?

Back