TSR-8 On the Frits-Analog Blues

k bucks

I've had my TSR-8, an ebay purchase, for about two years. Not long after receiving it, it began to fastforward without stopping, while the tension rollers shook wildly. So, I took it in and the repair folks found "defective parts in sys con circuit" and replaced the following parts...LA418 op amp (?) and 2SD613 transformer. The repair man told me about some design flaw that effects one of the motors if manipulated the wrong way (burns it out somehow), other than that he claimed it was in good shape. So I just made sure the machine was always off when I touched the reels. Its seemed to work fine, but just today after several days of recording an artist from out of town, it started exhibiting similiar behavior (sounds like i'm writing about a sick dog!). I can only guess its the same thing, so my question is...is this something i can fix myself? Two years ago the parts cost 27 bucks, but the total came out to just under 300.
In a previous thread, someone had asked if the maintainence costs of analog were worth it, I would truly like to think so, but this coupled with the cost of all the testing equipment (calibration tape, etc.) make me doubt if I will be able to afford to maintain this fairly low level tape machine.........can any of you analog folks make me feel better (or point out a stupid mistake) before I up and switch to the "dark digital side"? I hope I'm wrong about all this.

I've read posts from hundreds of people who own TSR8's and none of them had talked about a similar problem to yours so, I can only tell you that you probably have a bit of a lemon on your hands or, you were ripped off by the first service shop you took it to a couple of years ago.

It may have been something as simple as a sticky tensioner arm or a back tension adjustment that needed a simple tweak but, without seeing the deck, all any of us here could do is guess and guesses won't solve your problem.

If it were my deck, I would consider getting an estimate from a different shop and see what their suspicions are as to the problem.

If it is serious, just pick up another deck from Ebay for about the same price as the repair and you're back in business.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Excuse me for sidetracking the original post, but FM, is it easy to fix a sticky tensioner arm? I think my 38 has that problem. When you ff or RW it shakes a little. Other than that it works great.

I'm not sure, Steve, in that I have never attempted to fix that particular problem myself so, I don't know exactly what is involved in checking it out.

At there very least, a partial disassembly of the deck would have to be done to get to the tension arm assemblies and once inside, there would be adjustments that would have to be made and measured with special spring scales and/or a tentelo meter which is specialized test gear.

Again, I could only safely recommend that a qualified and properly equipped service shop should be sought out to perform these sorts of repairs in both cases posed in this thread.

Cheers! :)

Just got my TSR8 today! :D
All my 80-8 tapes sound beautful. 10 years later...I can see why I miss that sound.
Works flawlessly. thought I would share.
Got to order the manual now.

KBucks

Can you tell me how to clear the LOC settings on the unit?
I held CLEAR and pushed LOC button, but it searched for location.
Or are they always engaged from the last use? Maybe there is a initialization process?

Also how do you set up the Memo mode, for a loop?

I am waiting for the manual now. Appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks

Lou.

Ears said:
KBucks

Can you tell me how to clear the LOC settings on the unit?
I held CLEAR and pushed LOC button, but it searched for location.
Or are they always engaged from the last use? Maybe there is a initialization process?

Also how do you set up the Memo mode, for a loop?

I am waiting for the manual now. Appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks

Lou.
hi lou,
the loc and mem functions are pretty easy to set from what i remember. loc1 is set by pressing the mem1 button at the desired point on the tape. same thing for loc2/mem2. so, the mem buttons set the locate points and the loc buttons move the tape to that point. make sense? so for the auto loop feature you would just set 2 points on the tape with the mem buttons and and press the "repeat1-2" button and it will begin playing from the first locate point to the second, then rewind and repeat till you push stop.
--doris

Back