Track Rat & cjacek collaboration!

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hello,

I just wanted to post my collab with Track Rat. He re-recorded a not so well known Elvis song for me to put my vocal to it. First, let me say that Track Rat is amazingly good at capturing the "essence" of the original song. AMAZING!

When doing the vocal, I wanted to record it without the reliance on anything other than my Electrovoice RE-15 dynamic mic and the TASCAM 244 cassette portastudio. No compression, other than gain riding in a few places was used, one to raise the electric guitar at the begining before toning it down when the vocal starts and the second at the very end for my vocal. No reverb was used. The only "processing" used was to dull down the piano with some eq for some added warmth. I wanted the whole song to be as "natural" sounding as possible. Hell, if I tried "processing" I'd probably screw it up anyway! :eek: :D ;)

With the vocal, I rehearsed over many days, as I don't have the luxury to spend 6 hrs a day recording! :eek: ;) This particular "take" was done in one take after those "rehearsals".

Ok, the file can be downloaded be clicking HERE but it's going to be almost 6 mb (320 bitrate). Sorry about this .. :(

Posting this, is possibly the only way I can properly THANK Track Rat for his amazing efforts. Thank you my friend and I hope my vocal did the song justice. I hope to work with you again in the future ?? Next time, however, you got to let me repay you in some way .. :)

Daniel

Daniel & Track Rat,

Wonderful job, gentlemen! Bravo! :)

I really liked the fact that you didn't use compression on the vocal and gave it a real 50's authenticity in recording it that way.

I think we grow so used to the polished,(flattened), compressed sound these days that we easily forget how real and intimate uncompressed music can truly be.

The beds were well played and seemed to compliment the song perfectly so kudos to Mr. Rat for his fine contributions to this production. :cool:

Thanks for sharing your labor of love with us!

Cheers! :)

Herm said:
Daniel did the original have drums on it?
The original just had a brush lightly on the snare just as a time keeper really. I haven't heard what you've done yet as I'm at work (no MP3 downloads :( ). I'll listen tonight when I get home. Hey Daniel, any chance I could get you raw vocal only track so I could take a shot at a mix too? :D

The Ghost of FM said:
Daniel & Track Rat,

Wonderful job, gentlemen! Bravo! :)

I really liked the fact that you didn't use compression on the vocal and gave it a real 50's authenticity in recording it that way.

I think we grow so used to the polished,(flattened), compressed sound these days that we easily forget how real and intimate uncompressed music can truly be.

The beds were well played and seemed to compliment the song perfectly so kudos to Mr. Rat for his fine contributions to this production. :cool:

Thanks for sharing your labor of love with us!

Cheers! :)

Thanks Jeff!

Your words ring so true on the compression subject.

I would like to add that a "proper" instrumental backing track is so very critical to any vocal that I can comfortably say that it truly makes or breaks the song, regardless of the quality of the vocal. Track Rat came through 220%!!!

Thanks for listenning and the kind words!

~Daniel :)

Herm said:
Nice job guys!

Daniel did the original have drums on it?

Thanks Herm! :)

No, the original didn't have drums .. It did have backing singers stepping in on occassion but that's that. No other instruments.

Why ? Did you wanna dub in some drums for us ? ;)

Track Rat said:
The original just had a brush lightly on the snare just as a time keeper really. I haven't heard what you've done yet as I'm at work (no MP3 downloads :( ). I'll listen tonight when I get home. Hey Daniel, any chance I could get you raw vocal only track so I could take a shot at a mix too? :D

Of course, I can send you the raw vocal but please note that I had lowered the key of your backing track a tiny bit, probably half a key.

I'll upload the vocal on Monday (25th).

Thanks!

Daniel :)

I listened to it this morning. Elvis is in da building! Pretty cool Daniel. I'm still wanting to give it some more "hifi" sound (after deliberately rolling off everything above 4k :eek: :eek: :eek: ). I'm glad you liked the bed though sir. :D

Track Rat said:
I listened to it this morning. Elvis is in da building! Pretty cool Daniel. I'm still wanting to give it some more "hifi" sound (after deliberately rolling off everything above 4k :eek: :eek: :eek: ). I'm glad you liked the bed though sir. :D

Thanks Mike! :)

Please check your PM. I've sent the "vocal only" file.

~Daniel

May I ask what "beds" are ?? :confused:

~Daniel

Guys .... Track Rat (Mike) and I decided to continue with this on the mp3 mixing clinic forum for reasons of "BBS etiquette". I'll post my original post over there and anything else that has to do with the "project". Thanks!

Back