TASCAM Wallpaper

There's a number of companies out there today who offer up Pultec style program equalizers but very few of them back in the 50's and 60's. Lang Electronics Inc was one of them back then who offered up less expensive solid state versions of both Pultec and Ampex products but their most popular item was the 1965 Lang PEQ-2 solid state mono program equalizer. The knobs are the same ones as found on the Ampex sel-sync units for the 300 series recorders.

View attachment 89012

right click to download...

Cheers! :)

File this next one under home made, from the Decca mastering facilities at Decca Records in London, here is something they called "The Pod". This was a custom built unit to check for absolute levels and phase prior to cutting a mother master LP! This little gizmo has separate RMS and peak metering along with a basic oscilloscope to check for proper phase!

Pics of it in operation at Decca:

Decca Studios - A History

Anyway, here's The Pod!

View attachment 89031

I have a several models of older Shure Mixers. I think they are awesome and I use them for different little jobs around the studio and on live gigs. They are worth their weight in gold. I have reverb models, stereo models, different channel counts, etc. Incredibly helpful.

Looks great!

I have a several models of older Shure Mixers. I think they are awesome and I use them for different little jobs around the studio and on live gigs. They are worth their weight in gold. I have reverb models, stereo models, different channel counts, etc. Incredibly helpful.

Looks great!
Cool!

Care to take some nice head on shots of your reverb model to add here? I've been looking for decent images on the web of them and they're all shot at bad angles, bad light, bad focus or all of the above. :(

A couple years back, sweetbeats was kind enough to take a nice head on shot of the M-1000 channel amps for me as I was thinking about using them with some other 440 transport shots which he took. None of those transport shots were also a direct head on shot but I thought I could still put them together somehow. Anyway, yesterday I came across a nice head on shot of a 440 transport and decided I would retry mating that together with the shots sweetbeats originally took.

So, here's the result...

View attachment 89045

This next one from Ampex is of the AG-500. Originally when I first saw this deck, I thought for sure it was a consumer model from the early 60's. I did a bit more research on it and discovered it was actually part of the pro line and geared toward the radio station market and was available in a variety of formats and tape speeds all the way up to 15 ips, 1/2 track stereo or full track mono!

Unfortunately, there are no high resolution images of this deck on the web I could find but did manage to find about 10 different smaller images that were all mostly fuzzy or in faded black and white. As we know, that didn't stop me for trying to do a Frankenstein of one by assembling bits and pieces from those shots and from a bunch of other decks including some screws from Urei!

Anyway, here's the web's only decent resolution shot of one, created by me! :D

View attachment 89091

Oh I haven't been here in a few days...

It's Ampex madness!!

Nice work on all of them, Jeff...have to say I rrrrreally like the AG-350. Did you put the "butterfly" instrumentation reel hold-downs on there or are the original to the image of the transport?

I believe the AG-350 pre-dated the MR-70, which happens to be one of my favorite Ampex machines. Check out Sonicraft A2DX Lab: Ultimate Multitrack Analog to Digital Transfers for some lovely elite operational MR-70 machines.

Oh I haven't been here in a few days...

It's Ampex madness!!

Nice work on all of them, Jeff...have to say I rrrrreally like the AG-350. Did you put the "butterfly" instrumentation reel hold-downs on there or are the original to the image of the transport?

I believe the AG-350 pre-dated the MR-70, which happens to be one of my favorite Ampex machines. Check out Sonicraft A2DX Lab: Ultimate Multitrack Analog to Digital Transfers for some lovely elite operational MR-70 machines.

First off, thanks for the kind feedback on the shots! I never get tired of it! :D

The butterfly hold downs are my own addition on the 350 along with the data style reels which were all painstakingly assembled from multiple images prior to them being added to the 350 along with copious amounts of other photographic restoration steps to bring them up to my visual standards of satisfaction. I added them on the 350 because that version of the transport, the 350-02, represents the final one Ampex did which had a lot of visual similarities to the 440 and MR-70 which also used the same hold downs. Ampex themselves never saw fit to put them on there though and offered it with older style ones only.

And speaking of the MR-70, that too is one of the Ampex beasts I'd like to take a stab at and there too, the availability of usable images out there is pretty sparse. Your link to Sonicraft's site is one excellent resource for info and pics, but they're on the smallish side. :( I wonder if I wrote to him and asked nicely, if he'd be kind enough to email me the full sized originals????

As a quick follow up to my previous post, I did end up writing to the owner of Sonicraft and unfortunately, he doesn't possess any of the original full sized files of the MR-70 because they were shot by a professional photographer who only gave him the web sized shots for the site.

But...he did offer to take some pictures of it when he gets a chance to do so and was also kind enough to offer up access to other shots from his site which he does have the full sized originals of! :)

He seems like a really nice guy and is also an aspiring photographer in his own right, so I'm expecting 1st class shots from him...again, when he gets the opportunity. He's a busy guy. ;)

Anyway, for now, I've done a bit more picture hunting and came across the earlier version of the AG-500 which is still stereo but was an all tube affair from the early 60's but is said to be an excellent unit for both commercial usage or as a higher end home use unit!

This one is called the PR-10 and I managed to find a decent good sized pic of it from an expired ebay sale in England. It just needed a bit of perspective correction and a tiny bit of digital scuff remover...

View attachment 89149

Ive owned several of those by different numbers from about 1970. Portable, well I guess....

An OK machine in my opinion, not stellar. Single motor with belts driving reels. But the biggest issue I had with them is being limited to 7" reels. Really?

Ive owned several of those by different numbers from about 1970. Portable, well I guess....

An OK machine in my opinion, not stellar. Single motor with belts driving reels. But the biggest issue I had with them is being limited to 7" reels. Really?

I believe Stellavox and Nagra offered swing arm assemblies on some of their portable decks which could be opened up to handle 10.5 " reels but not sure if those were available in the same era.

Question for you!

Did any of yours have that clock-like time gauge on them like the one pictured? Ampex always seemed to shy away from tape counters on their pro machines, so that makes me think this model was more of home use kind of deck?

About the single motor drive, yeah, I've seen pics of the back of it and it looks like a Cadillac engine from 1966 with belts going everywhere! :D

More "Mil-Spec" madness!

This one is yet another all tube peak limiter amp from the late 40's from Meridian for the department of civil aeronautics...I guess they needed these for their radio gear?

Anyway, this one interested me because it reminded me of the hotel safes that you find in the closet of your room with the same kind of door latch and piano hinge...all to get to the inside guts of this unit which is mostly just a bunch of resistors and wires running to the tubes and transformers on the back of it. Also don't know if this is the same Meridian company that put out all that audiophile gear in the 80's and onward. Anybody know?

View attachment 89179

As a quick follow up to my previous post, I did end up writing to the owner of Sonicraft and unfortunately, he doesn't possess any of the original full sized files of the MR-70 because they were shot by a professional photographer who only gave him the web sized shots for the site.

But...he did offer to take some pictures of it when he gets a chance to do so and was also kind enough to offer up access to other shots from his site which he does have the full sized originals of! :)

He seems like a really nice guy and is also an aspiring photographer in his own right, so I'm expecting 1st class shots from him...again, when he gets the opportunity. He's a busy guy. ;)

Anyway, for now, I've done a bit more picture hunting and came across the earlier version of the AG-500 which is still stereo but was an all tube affair from the early 60's but is said to be an excellent unit for both commercial usage or as a higher end home use unit!

This one is called the PR-10 and I managed to find a decent good sized pic of it from an expired ebay sale in England. It just needed a bit of perspective correction and a tiny bit of digital scuff remover...

View attachment 89149

Steve Puntolillo and his operation are too notch. He's a great guy with LOTS of experience as a musician and as a engineer/technician. And yes he's a photographer as well.

Glad you reached out to him and not surprised at his response.

Steve Puntolillo and his operation are too notch. He's a great guy with LOTS of experience as a musician and as a engineer/technician. And yes he's a photographer as well.

Glad you reached out to him and not surprised at his response.

Roger that! ;)

I actually did manage to find some larger sized images of the MR-70 that I had sitting on my hard drive from right here at hr.com but can't remember what thread they came from. :(

If I could find that thread again, I could maybe contact that member here to see what other pics he has of his, because the ones he posted are all shot at oddball angles in pretty dark condition.

Anyway, hopefully Steve will get a chance to take some shots of his for us.

Back