TASCAM Wallpaper

^ Thanks, Dave! :)

Been wanting to add in the ATR-60-4 HS and its cousins for a while now and found a few imaging all over the place to do a render of one. Ideally, it would have been great if Daniel had his unpacked and with some time to take some shots, but he's been busy and I didn't want to pester him.

Anyway, here she be, the ATR-60-4 HS wallpaper....

View attachment 88167

right click to download...

Cheers! :)

Staying on the same series, the ATR-60-2 TC with an added bonus, the MA-650 monitor unit...which until earlier today, I did not know it even existed! Found a blurry image of one while looking for something else and did a render of it so as to make it of a similar clarity to the other components.

Anyway, here they be!

View attachment 88225

This one's a redo of the Urei 1178 stereo limiter. The original I did a couple of pages back had a badly scratched up and stained faceplate and figured out a way to render a new one from scratch in Photoshop. So this one's a genuine "Frankenstein" series, as it was drawn up from scratch with a bunch of borrowed knobs and switches from other pics I had. You'd have to time warp back to the 70's to find a cleaner unit then this one! :D

View attachment 88252

One more redo of the Urei 546 dual parametric equalizer. Did this mostly because the faceplate on the first try was too marked up and dirty and applied my new found face plate skills to make up a new one from scratch including all new lettering, which was no easy task! I still can't find a high res image of this beast anywhere so as to borrow some sharper knobs from to work with so had to settle for the fuzzy ones available for now. For those who pay attention to detail, you'll see a marked difference between the sharpness of the face plate and the cheesy knobs. ...oh well. ;)

Anyway, here she be...and my 7000th post too! :D

View attachment 88319

Last edited:
Not a genuinely vintage piece but claims to be designed by a vintage luminary in the industry, Rupert Neve. The 9098 was a tough image to hunt down as all the proper head on catalog shots where way too small to be useful but did manage to find a larger sized image that was shot badly off center, so I had to perform my usual geometric repairs to straighten it up.

Anyway, here's the AMEK 9098 CL wallpaper...

View attachment 88381

Last edited:
Those are all sweet lookin' devices...they have a "look" to them. Very nice work, as always.

Thanks, Cory! :)

Urei and Amek were definitely names that most home recording guys like me could only dream about owning back in the day but Urei holds a special place in my heart because of their affiliation with JBL which I was a dealer of for many years in the consumer electronics world. So that coupled with my healthy Mix magazine subscription since the mid 80's really drove home the marketing buzz for me to stay in a continual state of gear lust and GAS.

And then there were the companies like EMI who made all those cool mysterious consoles and processors that the Beatles used. That stuff was always a step beyond reality to me. Top secret weapons for an elite world that all seemed as mystical and magical as landing men on the moon! I came across an absolutely horrible grainy small picture of an EMI eq called the 920. What immediately attracted me to it were those arrowhead/Star Fleet knobs! Those things looked like they came straight out of a space ship or something! Anyway, I tried to clean that image up as best as possible and turn it into something presentable.

Last edited:
I always wondered about the 50 series of recorders from TASCAM and why they never made a 4 track and just the 8 and the deuce. Well, today I got a brainstorm and figured why wonder about such silliness and just build my own instead!

Presenting the world's first and only picture of the mythical TASCAM 54! :D

View attachment 88472

File this next one under Tokyo Rose! That's right: WWII era radio gear made by Motorola and Scientific Atlanta, two companies that are actually still in business today, 65 years later! Thought not really recording gear per-say, but 100% analog for sure! :D

View attachment 88522

Oh but I do dig that mil-spec stuff...ever since I got my Ampex, with all the mil-spec parts on it.

And that's not my RA-500 is it, Jeff? I should try and get a decent pic of it, although what ya did done there looks mighty nice.

And omigoodness I saw your second post about the Tascam 54 (after you added the remote) before the first one where you explained it wasn't real...I did a triple-take thinking I'd missed yet ANOTHER Tascam model...that is SWEET!!! Ya GOT me!! :D

---------- Update ----------

Did you use Tascam 44 elements to mock up the 54?

Thanks for the feedback, Cory! :)

The military gear I came across while doing a search for older CBS Laboratory compressors, specifically the Volumax series and found a website dedicated to forgotten electronics which had all maner of stuff from the 1920's and onward! The guy who runs the site is a horrible photographer but did post 100's of larger sized pics and managed to cherry pic a few of his accidental better ones which I could straighten out and perform my usual touch up tricks to, to make them presentable!

His site is here:

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/

The Sansui reverb pic came by accident while looking for some other gear. So no, it wasn't one of yours but was the head on type of shot taken with a longer focal length, (my favorite kind of shot).

The 54 has borrowed components from a few different sources! The meters came from an ATR-60-8 deck and just used one of the rows of 4 meters to build that lower section. The track arming buttons came from my old MS-16 photo vault and the "4" in the name badge came from a TASCAM 34 badge. The remote's cable was hand painted by me and looks a bit wonky to my eye but oh well, such is life as a frustrated artist. :D

Pultec founders Gene Shenk and Ollie Summerland unveiled the first passive program EQ in 1951. This EQP-1 was based on filter circuits licensed from Western Electric and sounded great, but suffered the gain insertion losses typical of any passive filter, so the duo upgraded their original unit to the EQP-1A, which followed the EQ section with a gain makeup stage using a push-pull design with 12AU7, 12AX7 and 6X4 vacuum tubes. Designed for broad equalization of program material, the EQP-1A had four low boost/cut frequencies, three high-cut frequencies and a choice of seven HF boost points, along with a bandwidth control for shaping the high boost curve.

Like many boutique entrepreneurs, Shenk and Summerland built every unit to order by hand in their true two-man operation.

Here's my rendition of the famed EQP-1A....

View attachment 88611

The ultimate rack filler????

You decide!

View attachment 88598

That's outstanding!!

I love it! :D

---------- Update ----------

Jeff, I was visiting with Rick Chinn of Uneeda Audio yesterday and man oh man there were a number of items in the shop that looked like the vintage stuff you are working on here in the Wallpaper thread...knobs the size of tea saucers!!

Thanks, Cory! :)

Yeah, companies like Pultec, Altec, Ampex, RCA and many others in the 50's all seemed to use the same knobs!? Maybe it was a war surplus deal at the time and they all got a deal on them? :D

Anyway, here's another classic Pultec from the 50's, the EQH-2.

View attachment 88635

Back