Tascam MSR16 or Fostex E16 ?

gilwe

Got two machines to choose from - the first is a Tascam MSR16 which is from a first hand user (bought it new) and probably didn't have many hours of work in it's history. I can get it plus the syncronizer for about 700$. The other is a well used second or third hand Fostex E16. Although the guy says it works perfectly, I still suspect it may not be in a good condition as he also said he had it put a new motor in so I guess although it is supposed to have a new motor in, the head might be well worn as well (if it had so many hours of work other parts are supposedly worn out as well...). I can get this one plus a SMPTE converter for my Korean Ovation acoustic (which is an excellent guitar actually) and a 100$.

I currently have the Fostex M80 and I love it's sound very much. It is fat and warm, and I guess the E16 should sound similiar. I actually don't have 700$ cash for the Tascam so I wonder if I'd better take the Fostex although it's supposed to be old, for the Ovation which I want to sell anyway and for which I cannot get much anyway.... So it's like having the Fostex and the converter for 450$ and the guy also may give a few tapes with it ....

What do you think ? the Tascam or Fostex ?

:eek: :eek: :eek: What a dilemma!!

If I had the money, It's always best to get the machine with the least amount of wear on it. I would get the Tascam if its in fairly "new" condition. The syncro is worth at least $200.
The Fostex I would really look at the heads, tape guides for wear and a shine on the metal parts.
The E's and MSR's are about the same age as far as time goes....

Gil; I don't know what to tell you, the Fostex may be OK, but at such acheap price, I don't know what to tell you with out test driving the Fostex.........
Your Fostex deal is more doable for you I know, But you don't want something that won't work for you, or cost forever trying to get fixed and up and running.

da MUTT

If the Fostex needs a new head, it will turn out to be much more expensive than the Tascam.

I have both a Fostex and a Tascam and all I can say is the Fostex might have a tad better sound quality, but the Tascam is rock solid and you'll find parts more easy.

It's up to you.

Thanks.
I know what you're talking about when saying the Fostex is better, the sound of my Fostex M80 is superior (for a 1/4" of course...) I would definately get the Fostex if it wasn't sooo well used ....

We Need Access To Fostex e16 1/2 Inch 16 Track Machine!

Can Anyone Help Us!? .. We're Madhouse From Metro Detroit! We Have Some Very Old reels That The Studio No Longer Has A Machine For! And We Would Like To Get A Copy Of At Least One Song!? Or Maybe Bounce Of Onto Something More Update!? Either Local!? Sending Out The Reels!? Or A Good Deal On Buying An Old Machine!?? We Can Be Reached @ 734-225-6054 Thank You! Sincerely! Really Apreciate Your Help! Found You On A Google Search (9/24/07) .. Doug Braun! & Madhouse! :)

We Need Access To Fostex e16 1/2 Inch 16 Track Machine!

Can Anyone Help Us!? .. We're Madhouse From Metro Detroit! We Have Some Very Old reels That The Studio No Longer Has A Machine For! And We Would Like To Get A Copy Of At Least One Song!? Or Maybe Bounce Of Onto Something More Update!? Either Local!? Sending Out The Reels!? Or A Good Deal On Buying An Old Machine!?? We Can Be Reached @ 734-225-6054 Thank You! Sincerely! Really Apreciate Your Help! Found You On A Google Search (9/24/07) .. Doug Braun! & Madhouse! :)

myspace.com/ madhouse detroit

I'd be glad to help. I have a working, well maintained E-16 biased for Ampex/Quantegy 456 1/2" tape. I could transfer the files to cdr as separate wav files. You can import them into any DAW at that point.:)

Excellent Fostex E 16 for sell

This recorder is in excellent condition. I do have the auto locator-wire remote control Fostex 8316 as well. I am trying to sell this machine $600 OBO. Please contact me for questions 512.939.7171 or email hnelson2008@yahoo.com. Thank you~

I'd get a test tape before looking at any machine. Checking the playback response will go a long way in evaluating any machine you check out. Besides, once you buy a 1/2" 16, you're going to need one anyway.

Fostex G16 for repair or parts and good condition Tascam MSR16s

Fostex G16 for repair or parts now on Ebay for $395. Or call 808-430-4893.

Here is a complete G16 at a bargain price which sold for $9000 new in the early 1990's. Record/play head has been relapped but it was never realigned so channel 14, 15, 16 does not record/playback to specs. Channel 1-13 is fine. Also the tape lifter does not lift the tape sufficiently and locate zero button does not work. Aside from that all electronic indicators light up and the transport works fine. Sold as is and there will be no refund. In any case this would be good to have if you need parts for your G16. Includes factory manual, rack mount but no remote cable.

Shipping is $100 via FEDEX GROUND anywhere in the US. All other locations must contact me before bidding or pay the FEDEX rate from Hawaii.

Fostex G16 for repair or parts now on Ebay for $395. Or call 808-430-4893.

Here is a complete G16 at a bargain price which sold for $9000 new in the early 1990's. Record/play head has been relapped but it was never realigned so channel 14, 15, 16 does not record/playback to specs. Channel 1-13 is fine. Also the tape lifter does not lift the tape sufficiently and locate zero button does not work. Aside from that all electronic indicators light up and the transport works fine. Sold as is and there will be no refund. In any case this would be good to have if you need parts for your G16. Includes factory manual, rack mount but no remote cable.

Shipping is $100 via FEDEX GROUND anywhere in the US. All other locations must contact me before bidding or pay the FEDEX rate from Hawaii.

Put this in the Free Adds section here.

Cheers

Alan

Tascam MSR16 or Fostex E16 - Gil

Hi Gil, I have an MSR-16 and a Fostex 8. In my opinion the Tascam is much better built and remains repair-a-ble, has bar-graph for VU readings which I don't care for so I have a 16 channel meter array so I can better watch the over-all output. It's a rugged machine and will last many years.

I bought the Fostex used and it needed a new head, Fostex no longer has replacement heads for the 8, I bought the last head they had. It's a smooth machine but i use it sparingly.

Both machines run at 15 ips, the Fostex sound is decent but I prefer the Tascam sound, I think it's much cleaner. 16 channels on 1/2 inch tape produces about the same as 8 channels on 1/4 inch tapes.

1/4 in tapes are much cheaper that 1/2 inch, now that Quantegy is out of the Tape biz, Professional tape is becoming hard to get and very expensive.

Since u've chosen a 1/2 inch machine, be checking the prices of the tapes.

StarryNite :)

The E16 has jumpers that will allow it to run @30ips. It also has built in dolby C. I would check to see if this Fostex machine has been run @30ips or 15. The Tascam does not feature that. The reason I say this is the adjustments to the eq's internally will have to be made if you intend to use it @15 and its been run at 30. 30 sounds better but theres not a lot of time on a reel like that.

Overall I would say the Tascam has a tighter low-end and the Fostex at the same speed has better and more transparent highend. The Tascam still has readily available parts for all of it while the Fostex doesnt.

An alignment tape is a great call on this!

Back