TASCAM MS-16 Sync/Rep Problem.......any service engineers out there?

altruistica

I thought I was home and dry with the MS-16, but a new problem seems to have surfaced out of nowhere. I've documented it here on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehQIjQSbpXw&feature=youtu.be

Basically, when I select the SYNC head for playback, other than TRACK 6, none of the tracks are playing back. I don't remember ever reading anything about this problem before, so if there are any service engineers that have encountered this before, I'd appreciate your help. Anyone else feel free to chime in as I am totally stumped.

Thanks
Al

I am not a service engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but thinking about it logically, I'd suspect the output switching relays, which are known to get stuck on older machines.
Since the sync head is used for recording, I'd have thought the problem must lie in the channel cards, and the relays are a known problem area.

Thanks JP,

I haven't ruled them out, but it seems bizarre that I've gone from having a problem with one or two tracks with relay problems when I got the machine a year ago, to very recently having no problems with relays to all of a sudden all of them going, barre one.

I did read a post from years ago by Lo-fi, in which he mentioned that there are relays for switching +4 outputs and -10. Well to do the calibration I'd unplugged the balanced outputs (which go straight into the back of the MX2424) and plugged in the -10outs (which go into a patchbay). I'm going to try plugging the +4outs back in and see if I get the SYNC head back.

Al

Would you believe it?.........

I swapped one of the audio cards from the non-working machine into the working one and it worked on SYNC. Therefore it was as I suspected, not a problem with the relays.
I've removed the MS-16s from their trolleys and they sit on a workbench with the audio cards DBX units and meters underneath. The wiring runs behind all of this. After delving into the back I found the problem. When I re-fitted the RCA phono connectors the power cable to the SYNC head (number 2 cable) must have been dislodged. It was hanging on just enough for TRACK 6 to receive power, hence it working.

PHEW! So I've finished setting it up and both machines are now calibrated to 250nWb with 0VU being +3dB. This has worked out great as the Allen & Heath GS3000 has its outputs at 0VU showing at -3VU on the recorders........

Thanks for all the input.

I might be able to setup the drum kit now and record something.

Al

Back