TASCAM MS-16...can you use XLR and RCA Outputs simultaneously?

altruistica

I've read the manual and other posts here that warn about using both XLR and RCA input jacks at the same time. I can see by the schematic that the XLR inputs come before the RCA inputs, but that they then are fed into the same circuitry, so you wouldn't want to use both at the same time for risk fo overloading the input.....but what about the outputs?

It would be useful if both sets of outputs could be used (or more specifically permanently wired up) at the same time. I want to connect the XLR outs on the MS-16 straight into the back of the TASCAM MX2424 inputs, so I can dub from one to another and also record analogue and digital at the same time. I also want to leave the RCA jacks connected to a patchbay which are normalised through to tape returns 1-16 on the Allen & Heath GS3000.

I'm still not sure what caused the diodes to blow on the machine (and fuses) as I set up the machine at the beginning of the week, but if this was the reason then I don't want to repeat the episode. My own feeling is that I may have setup the machine inaccurately the first time (setting the 250nWbm MRL tape I have to -3VU) which then when I tested the machine recording 1K, 10K, 16K and 100Hz tone at 0VU would have been actually putting +6 onto the tape across all 16 tracks. The machine crapped out after recording about 16mins of tone......It might not have been the problem but that I had the XLR outs going into the MX2424 while the RCA were connected to the patchbay (though nothing was connected to them at the time....nor normalised, just sole patchbay points.).
Anybody know?

Thanks,
Al

TASCAM manuals are generally regarded as being very well written and there is no specific warning for the output RCA and XLR connections not to be used at the same time, so I'd assume it to be safe to use both at the same time.

I will put the caveat out though that when I had my MS-16, I never attempted to actually do that and just used the RCA jacks.

Cheers! :)

Thanks Ghost for the quick reply.

I might wait a little while just to see if anyone else chimes in.....it was a little bit of hassle to change the diodes (well about 4 hours as the power supply board is at the bottom of the machine) so I'd rather not go through it again in a hurry.
Having said that, if they do go again, I'll seriously think of re-capping the whole supply just in order to rule out failing caps.
Al

I have managed to download a schematic (of sorts! The centre section of some of the diagrams cannot be displayed or printed) Anyhoos, I cannot see any problem in using the RCA outs as well as the XLRs (assuming "we" are on the "IN/OUT AMPL. PCB ?) since the RCA out is taken from the DBX connector (can't be arsed to trace that. YOUR machine!) and is protected to a degree by a 220 Ohm series R. many op amps will distort if that OP is shorted but I know of nothing that will fail.

The XLR out is a monster! Four medium power transistors driven by chips and on 20+20V rails. DO NOT FIT ANY OTHER STANDARD ICs IN THIS THING! The output is "protected" by two 10Rs (371/381) but if I were doing a big re-fit I would up those to 47R each.

I assume the "diodes" that failed were in the PSU? Again, my circuit is chopped in half but the rectifiers are shown as bridges? Are they in fact discrete diodes? If so there can never be any harm* in upping their rating, both V and I.

If the caps LOOK ok and the rectified voltages are to manual they probably ARE ok.

BTW...Never! Just up the value of power supply caps willy-nilly. You can cook the traff.

*Not so for switch mode supplies. The switching speed and capacitances can be critical. Always change like for like. Better still, build an outboard 50/60Hz PSU!

Dave.

Back