GCalo is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by sr71rules View Post
    ---I've been getting some great PSU help from Sweetbeats ----
    Just make sure he's wearing his cap!!!

RICK FITZPATRICK is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    I've been getting some great PSU help from Sweetbeats and I have a friend coming up this weekend to help me out. Hopefully I'll have a pathway to a working PSU soon!
    Arn't friends wonderful! Especially if they're a tech! I have a friend who is a WONDERFUL friend and TECH. Last year he moved from Arizona to my state, and to ease the transition, he lived in my home for 4 months. First thing he did was read the M3700 manual start to finish. Then he moved all his tech gear in his bedroom and set up a "tech station". For 4 months he tore into all my gear from monitors to my MSR's and tweaked everything! Here's a few pics of his tech station setup.

He even tried to fix the ole TDM 1000...but it was hopeless. Never worked from the time I bought it on ebay.

Here he's testing my old Studiomaster board so I could sell it.

He never needed to open the 3700. And btw, when I bought mine, the guy I bought it from called it a M3600. It had a meterbridge from a M3500, but had the automation stuff. He said that Tascam only had one meterbridge left when he bought it, and they used it on the M3700. Anyway, hope you get the PSU thing straightened out. I hate the thought of that thing just collecting dust.
    alright breaks over, back on your heads!

GCalo is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    Now that he is done with your items send him over here!

sr71rules is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Interesting about your meter bridge, mine also says M3500. In all of my googling, whenever I found a picture of an M3700 large enough to read the text on the bridge...it says M3500. Easy to tell from looking at the boards though that they are M3700s.. hard to miss the extra section filled, with a little screen and floppy disk drive poking out!

miroslav is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    sr71rules...the pictures you put up with the ground wires...are you referring to the two black wires?

I can't see in the first picture where/how they are connected....?

There was a lot of "grounding mod" talk going back 10-15 years, when it came to the 3500 and especially the 3700.
    Can you tell if the wires/connections look like a factory soldering job/hook-up...or something done by hand, after the fact?
    Maybe the previous owner tried to mod the grounding to improve it?
    Post up a few more pictures...I'm curious to see how it all runs and where it connects...etc.

RICK FITZPATRICK is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    hard to miss the extra section filled, with a little screen and floppy disk drive poking out!
    Yea, that's how I knew mine was a 3700!

BTW, one of the reasons my friend didn't open the M3700 is because its in my DIY console. The support bars in the frame prevent pulling the belly pans. I spent a long time working out all the details to mod my old console for the M3700 in Sketchup. Had to re weld the bridge support frame, make new "interface hinges" because the mixer was much deeper than my old one, and modify lots of other things too. Like a new wrist pad, and make new rack bays, and modify the linear motion track to fit between the mixer and the pad.

Here is some pics and Sketchups with the M3700 in it. Just thought you might like to see one in a custom console.

Here is one of the two interface locks/hinges. What a bitch. They have to support the complete bridge with THREE computer monitors and two sets of audio monitors, not to mention the bridge it self which weighs in about 80lbs. Worked great though. They are adjustable in 3 axis'.

alright breaks over, back on your heads!

Thanks
    Nice looking place Rick. Looks comfortable and that hinge certainly looks well engineered!

Miroslav: I believe it is a grounding mod. I'll try and get some better shots tonight. The wires are hand soldered to the underside of the PCB that has the master busses on it. It's the module that has the FX returns/talkback/studio and CR monitor options on it, directly above the 8 Group Out faders. The wires are massive and the soldering job doesn't look especially good to me.

I'm going to try and take all the modules out of the console tonight and get some more shots of the wires to see where they go. I would guess it was done when they modded 1-16. It certainly didn't come from the factory like that...

Thanks
    If you could...I would very intersted to see exactly how the grounding mod was done...what points were soldered and how/what was conencted to the grounding mod...and where the the wires finally terminate (in the PS I would imagine?).

Thanks

Thanks

Extra Wires...

It looks like the extra wires are indeed for grounding. I posted a couple pictures in post #11 and I've finally had a chance to strip the board of all it's modules and get a better look.

For frame a reference, the extra wires come out on the left of this shot and go under a bar of metal that runs just above the faders. This is a picture taken from behind the console:
    Name:  Tascam_M3700_01.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  56.3 KB

Here you can see some wires that look professionally installed by Tascam that ground the PCBs for the master buss that run along the belly of the console under the channel strips. The metal channel runs along at an angle at the bottom left of the image.
    Name:  Tascam_M3700_02.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  62.3 KB

This last shot shows the end point of the two wires soldered to the Buss PCB under the master module section of the board. The wire is thicker and the ends are different from those that connect to other places on the board. The really curious part though is that the extra wires travel all the way from the Master Module on the far right of the board, under the metal channel and then screw to that same metal channel on the far end, fully on the right side, under module group 1-4. In the top image you can see them run out from the Master section and then dip into the channel and back out again.

Name:  Tascam_M3700_03.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  64.6 KB

A single wire connects from the channel to a wire that runs to the back of the board and connects, presumably, to the power connector. Once it leaves the cavity left by the modules I'm not sure where it goes and I don't have the time this evening to really disassemble the console to find out. Some hunting with a flash light and some gentle tugging on the wire though does tell me it gets very close to the power connector, if it's not attached directly to it.

I'll be curious Miroslav to hear how this differs from your board. My M3500 however appears to lack completely the metal grounding channel in front of the faders. My thought is that because of the computer on board they added the grounding channel to help get rid of any noise it causes. Considering the extra capacitors in the M3700's power supply versus the M3500 PSU I'm beginning to wonder if computer noise was a major concern/problem during development. My M3500, in my admittedly limited testing, always proved quiet.

I'm sorry the shots are so hard to read.. I need work out a better way of shooting the board. Being so pressed for time this week isn't helping either...

Robert

Thanks
    My 3500 is stock AFA grounding....I never did anything to beef it up, but have been curious how others did it.
    Just running a bunch of additional wires and connecting them here-n-there would not necessarily do much...so if you are going to do it, it has to make some grounding sense, and then end up somewhere where it will actually go to ground...which I'm guessing should/would be in the PS...???

If you don't feel like posting addition pictures for the grounding in this thread...I'll be happy to give you my email...I am very curious, because who ever did that, looks like they at least tried to do a good job, it looks very neat and clean. Now, how much it improved the grounding to actually lessen any noise in the system...that might only be discoverable if/when you get it all running...and then simply A/B with and without the extra ground connected/disconnected (where ever it all terminates).

It should follow a basic star scheme...all kinda coming together at one, final point from several various points...and it looks like it does in that one picture, but I would still like to know if there is any wire taking the grounding mod out of the console, or is it all just connected internally...???

I've thought about doing something like that, as it doesn't (shouldn't) mess with the rest of the board's electronics, so you're not going to hurt anything...though of course, it still needs to be done right so as not to add more noise instead of taking it away!
    I don't think the 3500/3700 are THAT noisy...but even if you drop the existing noise floor by another 25% or so...it's a decent and worthwhile thing to do.
    Maybe on my next rainy day.

Thanks for the effort posting pictures!
    When you get a chance to trace the rest of it out...I would love to see those results too, as that will be the key as to what/here the grounding mod does/goes.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information