TASCAM lovers - get ready to drool

I wonder if he'll sell it at that price. Says it's being refurb'd... I would love to get my hands on one! Such a great looking board! I've never used one though, how does it sound? If the sound is 'decent' having the incredible flexibility would make it worth it for me.

For me, I prefer the sound of a Neve or even the Amek 9098 but the time I spent working with the SSL 9000J and K series boards was the most fun I've ever had in the studio. Having a board built to emulate the SSL workflow would be awesome. My M3700 comes darn close but lacks the flexibility on the 'Direct Outs'.

On a board like the M700, or a top end console, instead of hard wired direct outs they give you a busing system which allows you to route any channel to any of 32+ buses and often includes a trim so you can sum together a few channels on one output. A board like the M3700 has 8 busses for that and Direct Outs on all the channels so you still have a lot of options.. just not quite as many as the big consoles :) We used to use the busing system to track to both Protools and the Studer at once and send each a different level. So much fun!

Now, give me a moment to wipe the drool off of my keyboard...

Robert

That's like way back when Cadillac use to give away a free Yugo with the purchase of a new Caddy (I think it was Caddy). :D

If it was only here in the the USA...East Coast...

Nice! Kinda makes me wish my ancestors had stayed across the pond… at least until this auction was over. Hindsight is 20/20. Then again we would have missed the French-Indian War, American Revolution, Civil War and all the other fun stuff we’ve participated in since coming to America. It’s sorta 6 of one and half dozen of the other… er somethin’.

Then again we would have missed the French-Indian War, American Revolution, Civil War and all the other fun stuff we’ve participated in since coming to America. It’s sorta 6 of one and half dozen of the other… er somethin’.

... Because we all know the Civil War was just SO much fun, right? :p

Yes...I know....I've looked at your eBay listing a few times over the last couple of weeks. :cool:

Nice board, I know it was not cheap back in the day when it was new.
As you may know, in pro circles, TASCAM seems to have gotten a bad rep for some reason.
I have the smaller cousin - TASCAM M-3500, and there's little love for them in pro circles and other TASCAM boards. Granted, the M700 is in a higher class....but it's also a white elephant.

Honestly, I don't think you will not find anyone that will pay $8,500 for any used TASCAM console these days. That old listing I posted at the top of this thread never sold at $8,000.

I don't know what that one guy offered you back on July 22....but you obviously declined it.
The other 23 watchers you have on eBay, don't seem to be making any offers.....they may simply be curiosity seekers (I've watched $150,000 console listings, but I never bid on them :) ).

Also, it's a big desk, so mostly would fit a larger studio, so the home rec crowd will not have much use for it.

Anyway, I think it's a sweet desk, but too pricy and too much hassle to ship....plus there's the shipping cost on top.
Are you only selling it with all the extras (patchbays, producer's desk) or would you break it up, like you show in that one picture where it's just the basic console on the frame.
IOW, the console by itself is a smaller footprint, and might fit into smaller studio spaces.....for the right price. ;)

Thanks for the insights Cosmic Cowboy. I really love the desk but other family issues are forcing me to sell. I am motivated so any reasonable offer will be considered. The ebay offer was in the $900 range which is why I turned it down.

The console outputs are all Dsub 25 connectors and all the patchbays have those on the back, so they go together. That said, you could use the Dsubs into a Pro Tools system and have a great front end. My recording with it is clean, quiet with detail and lots of punch. I also have a Tascam MSR 24 I would consider selling along with it. The ultimate Tascam analogue package. I'm outside Chicago so most of the lower 48 is about a days drive to pick the desk up.

So again thanks for your kind words. I am open to reasonable offers and possible trades.

Please email directly to wbeith@sbcglobal.net

Thanks

Bill

So like....where are you at with the sale?
I see that you're still selling it on eBay with lots of watchers....but any serious offers?

The board is great looking, and I'm sure it sounds good too. I’m not sure what you consider a "reasonable" offer, seeing that you're asking $8k for it.

I know the 700 was in a much higher class than my 3500...though I would be curious how much it differs sonically AFA the summing, auxes and EQ are concerned.
AFA the routing options, it's obvious that the 700 is more robust.

I'm looking for a console upgrade, as my 3500 is getting long in the tooth....but if I switch consoles, I want something that has some real sonic character, and really kills for mixing. I'm not that much concerned about preamps and crazy routing matrix, as I'm not looking to track through it or have a need for many different routing options.

I've been looking at Neoteks quite a bit, which would make for a great summing/mixing console... but I also keep an eye out for the well maintained and fully functional MCI consoles, as they certainly have some character.

Back