tascam dx-4d

eddiemunster666

I have 2 tascam dx-4ds that I want to use with a tascam 38. I have no manual so I need all the help I can get. Can I simply use the dx control cables, cascade them together, then plug one end into the tascam 38 without having to use any other cabling? Any good or bad comments most appreciated. :D

The DX-4D cascade connector is for logic and switching signals only.

You must use an additional 16 patch cords to get the sound in and out of the units.

Sorry! ;)

Cheers! :)

Now that I have all my cabling, Is this the way to hook it up????:

For Recording
-------------
Mixer Output --> dbx Input
dbx Encode Out --> tape in

For Mixdown
------------
tape out --> dbx Decode In
dbx Output --> Mixer Input

:confused:

eddiemunster666 said:
Now that I have all my cabling, Is this the way to hook it up????:

For Recording
-------------
Mixer Output --> dbx Input
dbx Encode Out --> tape in

For Mixdown
------------
tape out --> dbx Decode In
dbx Output --> Mixer Input

:confused:

You got it! :cool:

levels get too low

Hey eddie and Ghost, you guys ever have a problem with levels getting lowered when using the dbx units? Finally got a 38 set up with 2 dx-4d's. I had to practically pin the volume on the mixer to get the level close to red on the 38 with dbx on. And then when I played it back, the meter was barely even moving on the 38. dbx prob or maybe the head on the 38 needs help? or (gasp) both?! :eek:

deadfoot said:
Hey eddie and Ghost, you guys ever have a problem with levels getting lowered when using the dbx units? Finally got a 38 set up with 2 dx-4d's. I had to practically pin the volume on the mixer to get the level close to red on the 38 with dbx on. And then when I played it back, the meter was barely even moving on the 38. dbx prob or maybe the head on the 38 needs help? or (gasp) both?! :eek:

I have the opposite affect. The levels are too hot for the mixer when they come back through the DBX. So far I havn't been too crazy about using it. Anyone else have any good luck with it?

deadfoot said:

You should NOT be trying to pin the meters with dbx on as you might do without noise reduction.

dbx internally expands and compresses the incoming signals to put a quieter, more constant level on tape where the frequency response is flatter, with far less distortion, print through and adjacent channel cross talk between neighboring tracks.

By slamming the levels with dbx on, you are defeating all of the designed benefits of the system.

On your mixers meters, you should be trying to achieve source levels of around 0vu and on your recorder, these levels should translate downward to between -7 and -3 on the deck's VU meters.

On playback, if your recorder is calibrated decently, the levels will come back to near similar levels to what it was going in but it still might be a bit quieter and this is normal and expected.

Keep in mind, your mixer will benefit from the same clean levels that aren't distorted and clipping and by the time you sum these 8 dbx'ed channels of sound, you'll probably discover that your mixer's main stereo out levels are right where they should be.

Learn to just turn up your monitoring levels on your monitors instead and your ears will thank you in the long run.

Cheers! :)

Back