Tascam 388, how to insert while bouncing?

7upPartridge

If I have drums & bass on tracks 1&2 respectively, and I want to bounce them over to track 8, where can I insert a compressor during that process? Would inserting between pgm out & pgm in on 8 do the trick? I tried that without luck, but maybe I'm missing something...

Thanks!

I usually add a compressor when I bounce my drum tracks down to one. I'll insert the compressor to the send/recieve of drum tracks. I have also compressed a bass and drum track down to one. You'll need a stereo comp so you can insert it on each track. But..... the bass and drums will then share the same compressor settings. Unless you have 2 separate comps.

What about...

What about bringing your bounce Tape tracks in on Channels 1 & 2 as normal, (mix as necessary and) assigning them both to PGM 1, then hooking the compressor from PGM OUT 1 to PGM IN 8?

That, in effect is a bounce configuration that goes external to the 388, thru the compressor with cable hookups, and is not the "internally routed" track bounce.

:spank::eek:;)

Thanks for the response, J.

Yeah I guess I was just thinking somewhere along that bus that routes multiple channels to a single tape channel, there would be a way to insert mono before it hits the tape.

Of course, the method of using a stereo comp on channel inserts is totally practical, and will work for this, and come to think of it, was a really dumb oversight for me...

Appreciate your help!

What about assigning them both to PGM 1, then hooking the compressor from PGM OUT 1 to PGM IN 8?

Yeah that's what I thought would happen when I assigned them to PGM8, and then patched 8 out to 8 in, but no go...I'll try PGM1 to PGM8, maybe one of my PGM outs/in jacks is dead or something. Thanks!

Any single "numbered" buss will not patch out-to-in with itself, (such as 8-to-8). Probably best it didn't work because the alternative is a catastrophic feedback loop that could blow something up and damage your hearing.

Any single "numbered" buss will not patch out-to-in with itself, (such as 8-to-8). Probably best it didn't work because the alternative is a catastrophic feedback loop that could blow something up and damage your hearing.

Really? I've always imagined PGM bus IN as going IN to the tape (ie the logical conclusion of the bus), and OUT coming from the channel(s) assigned to that bus...so in my imaginary land, the IN to the PGM bus doesn't loop back to the OUT...? Naturally I believe you know better, and I would certainly benefit from an explanation if you have time for a brief one.

Also haven't had a chance to try patching one bus to another yet, but I will report back when I do. Thanks for the responses thus far, really really helpful

Back