tascam 244 eating tape

koalabearsoup

about two months ago I saved up my money to buy a 244. my old 8 track had been dead since long before, really crappy new tascam dp 08 that I used for three years and got so sick of the digital twangy sound, very very extremely grating after a while and I've sworn off digital forever (one day I actually dramatically destroyed the piece of crap as it was obsolescing, so I enjoyed it). anyways, I bought the specific 244 I got knowing it needed the belts to be replaced, I replaced them, and it worked perfectly. Made a few "test" recordings, all was beautiful .I was, however, homeless at the time, moving from place to place and eventually in campgrounds, from then up until now and I had it sitting in storage looking forward to using it and getting down to the brass tax. I power it on today and it eats tape, not working at all like it was before. Very shitty to discover as it's most of what I've been looking forward to for a long time. :facepalm:

well anyways, I don't believe it's the idler tire or pinch roller because it worked before and it has not been used at all, is that a safe assumption? or else could environmental heat have done something to it?

the right cassette wheel also does not seem to be turning, is it supposed to be turning? I thought that was how the right wheel collected the tape from the left but perhaps I am mistaken?

before it would play, fast forward, and rewind no problem whatsoever. now it is extremely temperamental. it will play a bit, eat a short length of tape, and then stop. ff and rw functions only work some of the time and whilst turning no tape is eaten.

considering what I've noted, what sort of problem do you think I'm looking at here? something else I could possibly fix for myself or would I need "professional" assistance, and how much do you think something like that might run me if that's my only option?

thanks guys, this is my livelihood

p.s. my girlfriend sat on my beyerdynamic dt 770s as well and broke them the same day :wtf: that i found out my 4 track is broken. are there any headphones you'd recommend for the 244 specifically? any opinions as whether it's "better" to use "period accurate" headphones or does using modern technology change anything for worse or better in your opinion when used with the 244?

Ummm....

Idler tires definitely and maybe pinch wheel, based on your description.

Cutting to the chase, actual tires may not be available but a variety of readily available rubber washers and O-rings will suffice. If you find a DrZEE web page about 244 (refurb) tire replacement, bear in mind that I feel the idler assembly does not have to be entirely disassembled, and in fact I'd recommend against it. Instead you may stretch the new O-rings or tire-shaped washers onto the idler wheels without disassembling it entirely, but the teardown must be to the point of removing the idler motor assembly from the chassis, and/or worst case to remove the idler assembly in total from the motor,... (just not disassembling the idler assembly itself, which I think is asking for trouble).

Search on this forum for 244 or 246 refurbishment for more details & pics.

:spank::eek:;)

yup that was the problem! thanks man. followed the directions and everything worked out. however, now that it is working again, it now appears that channel 4 is having some problems. sound is very scratchy and messed up and will not record to tape. is this a cue pot problem or something? would I need to do some soldering to fix something like this?

Back