Tascam 244

The 244 is incredible. I had no idea a 4-track could sound so good. There are guys on the net bashing cassette. I don't think they get it.

I have Cubase, but I'd much much much rather record on the 244. It's a blast.
Ideally I am going to integrate the two because both methods have strengths. Guys get too attached to some ideology/methodology, entrench themselves in it, and wind up missing the big picture.

And let 'em miss it.

It really IS fun to record to 4-track, and cassette in particular. Its not for everybody for sure, but it does a couple things for the process IMO, one being the sheer lack of bells and whistles and drawing the focus on the music and the up-front prep (or LACK of prep...the whole "screw it let's have some *fun*!" aspect), and the other being the limitation of tracks which kind of does the same thing.

Again, not for everybody but I find it to be really enjoyable...there is a pressure that is absent that I often feel with digital...like "I *should* be able to get this *perfect*...its DIGITAL and I have all these plugins blahblahblah".

How many times do we go back much later and review work we did or takes we captured and, after time away from it, realize the first one was the best one? The one that wasn't over-thought...

Have great fun with the 244. They sure DON'T make them like that anymore and it is great there are still parts available and good community support for them to keep 'em going.

the main reason i enjoy 4 tracking is that i work at a computer all day at work. so the last thing i want to do when i get home is sit at a computer again because i just feel stressed out. the other reason is that i have a poor attention span and i get easily distracted, so if im at a computer using pro tools i get overwhelmed with different options and plug ins etc. and also the internet is just one click away so thats another big distraction right there. you know what i mean?

the main reason i enjoy 4 tracking is that i work at a computer all day at work. so the last thing i want to do when i get home is sit at a computer again because i just feel stressed out. the other reason is that i have a poor attention span and i get easily distracted, so if im at a computer using pro tools i get overwhelmed with different options and plug ins etc. and also the internet is just one click away so thats another big distraction right there. you know what i mean?

So true.
Especially "the internet is just one click away"...

So true.
Especially "the internet is just one click away"...

Luckily that's not a problem for me, because I have to disable my wireless connection on my music CPU or I get noise in Reaper. However, I only record digitally when I'm recording things for work (work at home), so I'm not usually tempted to surf the net at that point anyway.

But I just love cassette 4-tracks mainly because (I think) it's what I started on back in the day. I'm a nostalgic guy, and so I think it takes me back. Also, I just really like the tangibility of it. I like the fact that after I record something, I can just turn the machine off, take the tape out, and carry around this linear "record" of the events in my hand.

I remember a time after I had first started getting into computer recording. I needed a digital rig for the versatility, editing, and speed of it for work (I write/edit guitar instructional books for Hal Leonard and end up recording a lot of the accompanying CDs). I wasn't doing a whole lot of recording my own stuff at the time, and so I hadn't touched a 4-track in a few years. When I finally got back to it, I remember it feeling strange that I didn't have to "save" my work or anything when I was done. It was like ... "oh yeah ... I just turn the machine off, and I'm done!" :)

There's a 244 selling on ebay for $400 right now. Mint condition.
I think these may start to rise in price...really hope so, really hope they make a comeback so they're easier to service.

Hi everyone, I'm a new member here and from the UK. I am interested in getting this model of portastudio as I have a Tascam M-06 mixer and I think it would go nicely together with it (looks very similar). Does anyone know if the 244 came out at the same time as the M-06? I'm trying to see what equipment Tascam made around the same time so I can get a nice retro setup for home recording. I currently hook up a lot of modern equipment to my mixer and that is then hooked up to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface which is connected to my PC for recording. I'd like to get some of my recordings down on tape though and seeing as I already have a few albums on cassette by other artists, it would also give me a way of hearing them.

Thanks.

If you want to listen to standard stereo cassettes on a retro Portastudio, you'll need something like a PortaOne, PortaTwo (normal speed) or 246, 424mkII/III, 464 (dual speed hi/low switchable). The 244 is a great machine, but only records/plays at (hi) double speed & in dbx NR.

I haven't checked in a while, but you should make sure they have a dbx defeat switch on the PortaOne/Two, as I'm pretty sure the 246/424mk2 & 3/464 have a dbx "off" switch.

If you get a 244 or other 4-track Portastudio, the M-06 really isn't needed unless you want to submix a higher number of inputs into the basic onboard 4, (or 6 in the case of the 246 & 424mkIII). These Portastudios will have a better EQ section than the M-06, too.
:spank::eek:;)

Thanks very much for the heads-up about recording/playback speed of the 244. I think I'll look into getting one of the 424's (or other 4-series Portastudio's) then. You're right, seeing as the Portastudio's already have a built-in mixer, I wouldn't really need the M-06 so I could sell that.

Thanks again.

Back