TASCAM 22-4 Rewind and Fast-forward Not Working Properly

I just pulled my TASCAM 22-4 out of the closet (dust-free) for the first time in maybe 15 years. Fired it up and the capstan does not turn. Also, the left tension arm doesn't go all the way up, but far enough up that I can hear the guts turning on the inside and the reels will spin. Worked like a charm the last time I used it. I think I had it last serviced in '94. Next step is to open 'er up and heed the advice in this thread. Any additional words of wisdom? By the way, I don't have the manual, so any documentation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you can hear it running when the tension arm is lifted, the belt has probably gone. That's usually the first thing to check, anyway.

+1 on the belt. When I bought my 22-2, it was non-functional. Replaced the belt and it's been working like a champ for 4 years solid. Pretty reliable machine.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just got a 22-4 that needs some work done. I'm looking for the service manual and noticed that there's a PDF copy floating around in email...

If anybody can send one to me that would be great!
Here's my email, just replace the DOT with a period and AT with you know what...

visaDOTtheDOTdogATgmailDOTcom

I'm sure I'll need to replace at least one belt, but I'd love to check out all the other parts and order all of the replacements at once!

I used to have a hard copy of the Tascam 22-4 I bought off ebay but after a move and divorce i can't find it. Do you guys have the PDF for the service manual? I would greatly appreciate any help. I am having the same problem with the braking system getting stuck in FF and RR. I'm thinking I have to adjust the brake and clean and lubricate everything. Thanks Jordan

Back