Tape Newbie links?

FALKEN

I used to 4-track, then went digital for about the last 5 years; now I am going back to analog; got a Fostex e-16. Does anyone have any links to info about where to start with this thing? How to optimize my use from it? How far to drive the levels? How to minimize flutter? How to rock it like the stones did? I am sure I will eventually figure this stuff out but any literature on the subject would be cool. Not really looking for mic techniques or anything like that, just how to make the most of my machine.

actually, yeah, the manual has a lot of that type of stuff. couple of questions if anyone out there has an answer...

where do u get a hex wrench for this thing? I am going to try radio shack on my lunch break..

how far should I drive the levels for loud rock music? +8 on guitars? what level gives an optimal snare clarity? vocals? assume standard tape and bias, etc. I would rather not experiment for 5 million hours if there are people out there that already have much of this experience.

Fostex 812 into computer

Ok, first are you going out of the stereo outs on the board?
You need a 2 into 1 stereo cable. Cable out of boards stereo outs ( like you where going to a cassette master) into the line in on the computers sound card. This cable should probably be RCA jacks on both sides. I know mine is.
Once you get hooked up go into the volume controls in you computer. Check to see that the line in settings are not muted, sometimes these things are muted bu default, and make sure the line in level is up. I keep all of mine around 8 or so to avoid getting any high end distortion.
Now check that stereo output level on the board, or whatever controls the stereo out on the board is turned up to whatever level works best for you to avoid digital clipping.
I use a Fostex 450 board,a E-16 or my Model 80, and since I do a lot of CD mastering, I run from the stereo outs of my 450 into a Behringer Eurorack MX602A mini mixer and then into the computer. This way I can fine tune my signals and add post effects ( room reverbs and such ) so as not to overpower the incoming signal.
There are a lot of ways of doing things. Experiment and see what works best for you.
I also just picked up a Model 812 12 channel board and am going to use it for the Model 80 r2r so I don't have to keep repatching when I go from the 16 track to the 8 track.
Even though its only 3 years different in age its amazing the differences in the 2 boards. I also plan on using the 812 to send my reels to my VF-160 for mastering and storage. And since its starting to get difficult to find tape( you heard Ampex is in chapter 11 right) and the prices have gotten stupid for it, I can use the VF-160 to keep the whole songs in individual tracks on CD and reload them anytime. Ya. I might have to reuse tape. So anyone else out there that may have to do this eventually WATCH OUT for tape saturation. I know hard rockers (such as myself) tend to do this but it may make the tape funky and not good for re-recording.
Sorry I yacked so much and I hope this info helps.
Anyone know where I can get a manual for the Fostex 812 board? I really want one and am willing to pay for it if someone can at least make me a copy of theirs. Please help if you can. JnnyStrm@aol.com
Thanx, Jonny

Back