Spring Reverbs .. How do these sound ??

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Can someone please point me to a sound example of a Spring Reverb at work ? I'm looking at ones from Fostex and TASCAM (both considered "vintage" now). I've heard that these can sound "bright" but also that these can be adjusted to sound a bit "darker" ??? Comments ?

Btw, I'm having a real hard time liking ANY digital reverb units, even the higher end ones, which sound too "modern" and .. well ... "digital" ... :(

THANKS!

Daniel :)

The best example of a spring reverb at work on a professional recording would be from Deep Purple's Machine Head album.

I believe the song Highway Star ends with a spring reverb unit be thrown against a wall as a special effect!

If you want quality analog reverb, look into getting a plate reverb or building your own reverb chamber which makes use of a very live room and mic'ing the effects of it back into your mix to achieve the desired effect.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
The best example of a spring reverb at work on a professional recording would be from Deep Purple's Machine Head album.

I believe the song Highway Star ends with a spring reverb unit be thrown against a wall as a special effect!

If you want quality analog reverb, look into getting a plate reverb or building your own reverb chamber which makes use of a very live room and mic'ing the effects of it back into your mix to achieve the desired effect.

Thanks Jeff but isn't there a happy (financial) medium between what I wish to have and a rather expensive and involved "plate reverb" option ?

Thanks again! :)

Daniel

Perhaps our esteemed colleague, Regebro, can shed some additional light on this topic as he seems to have some experience with these devices.

Are you there, Regebro?

Guitar amps use spring reverb. That's pretty much what it sounds like. Marshalls use short springs, Fenders use long springs.

Fender makes a stand-alone unit that lets you adjust some of the parameters.

The high frequency response on the Fostex, Tascam and other similar spring reverbs tops out at 7 to 8k -- so I wouldn't describe them as bright, at least compared to plates and especially digital.

"Highway Star" -- now that's real rock 'n roll and a lot of spring use throughout.

Hey, did you ever watch "Davey and Goliath" when you were a kid? You know, the show produced by the Lutheran Church about a Christian boy and his talking Christian dog? ("Oh Davey")

Well in one episode (I think he was lost in a cave or something) Davey's footsteps echoing in the cave are the best damned example of spring reverb I can think of.

When I was older and first accidentally bumped my fender amp with the reverb setting up, I thought, "Hello... That's Davey's footsteps!" Anyway, I always remember that now when I think of spring reverb.

'Betcha wish I could think of something a little less obscure, eh?

:cool:

Ok, thank you VERY much for the replies! Good info!

(I'd be mostly using the spring reverb for my vocal)

Say, how much would you bid for a good and clean condition FOSTEX or TASCAM spring reverb unit ? I'm not sure of their model number but I've seen them on eBay occassionally ... Is one neccessarily superior to the other ?

Thanks!!!

Daniel :)

I would post something with my fostex reverb but I have all of my stuff torn down now waiting for new carpet.
As far as price I think i paid less than 50.00 dollars for my reverb.

Herm said:
I would post something with my fostex reverb but I have all of my stuff torn down now waiting for new carpet.
As far as price I think i paid less than 50.00 dollars for my reverb.

Thanks and please DO post a sound sample if you get a chance! :)

Daniel

For a spring reverb reference, I always think of that old tune,"Long, cool woman" Good example of it on the vocal and guitar.
Back in the early days, many studios had a large water tank outside that they would put a speaker and a mic. in. They got some really cool reverb on some of those old songs.

Back