Scully 280 preamp not working help please!

LToro

Hello analog only folks. My name is LToro I'm not fluent in English so please be easy on me. Thanks.

So I have a two track Scully 280-2
That I have been using to mix from my teac 80-8.
I just had the machine serviced 3 months a go, made some cool recordings, everything was going well! Heads are clean and about 85% of life in them. Amps sounded good and strong. Well one day I'm ready to record and one of the channels (there's is two preamps) is not working, nothing is going in, no line in, no mic in. But there's no problem on the playback of both channel 1 and 2. Any scully users? I am lost.
I most say that with the preamps at full volume, there's a little bit of signal come in, but you can barely hear maybe a DB or two. Thanks for the help in advance and "Larga vida a las maquinas analogas" :)

Welcome!

I don't know if any regular Scully owners here, but are you a member of the Yahoo Scully group? They are small in number but very knowledgeable, and responsive. If you aren't a member, Google "yahoo Scully" and the search results should get you to where you can register.

Hope that helps.

Wiggle all of the knobs back & forth a few times, double check your cables, etc. Those switches can get finicky.

Thanks for the suggestions Sweetbeats I am getting in there. The yahoo scully group it sure does look like the place to be. Lonewhitefly good suggestion I am going to try again, but I'd already check for bad cables, loose connections etc I think there might be a bad component on the recording path, my pops (ex disc jokey from the 60's) tells me to get in there, get my hands dirty to test components, but I wonder if there is a "most look here" before I start disconnecting caps etc Pfff I love this machine!

yeh I'm not a tech but I remember the switches getting intermittent at times ... my Ampex 440 does that too. Loved the Scully 280 and Teac 80-8!

Hey Lonewhitefly, cool I'll check the switches on my 280. Oh I dig the Ampex 440's to no end also! Do you have an 80-8 also?

I current have an Ampex 8-track (AG-300), a stereo 440, and a mono 440. I had an 80-8 previously for 9 years, but sold it earlier this year before I moved from Oakland to Portland. I had a Scully 280 4-track for awhile in 2012. The last album I did featured recordings done on all 3 decks, mixed to the 440 stereo (with the 440 mono used for echo).

Back