Rmgi lpr-35 tape

Rikard

I was just about to order a new roll or two of tape for my Tascam 388 online at Full Compass. I bought a few rolls a couple years ago, and I remember there only being one version of the LPR35 which was around $50. Now I see 2 different versions, 34512 for $50, than there is 34520, which is $70. The descriptions don't really give me much to info to differentiate. I don't remember there being options last time. I've not seen anything online talking about it. Anybody know about this? Is this a new thing? Opinion on these differences? Obviously $70 for a roll of 1/4" tape is ridiculous. May be time to start searching for NOS rolls of the 457.

Aaaaanddd, answered my own question. Metal reel, vs plastic reel......that's the difference. Sheesh. :/

May be time to start searching for NOS rolls of the 457.

^^^ This !!!

Or Quantegy 407, or Scotch 207, or Maxell XLI 35-90B

But the LPR-35 you're looking at is on 10-1/2 reel. LPR-35 on 7-inch reel is less expensive, but still a lot IMO. New-old-stock of the others I mentioned can be had for much less and is better tape.

Yeah I realized that after looking again, it is 3,600'. The 7" reel with 1800' was $30....apparently I don't read so good :) There is $20 difference for a metal reel though.
I did just spend some serious time a/b comparing the LPR-35 to my roll of 457 (just a guitar through a DI), and there was no major audible difference when not pushing the tape, also no major difference with the dbx on. However I noticed a huge difference when driving the tape (dbx off of course), the distortion with LPR-35 was almost a hiss/fizzle, up in the high frequency's, not very pleasing to the ear. 457 was much smoother on the top, and much more pleasing to the ear. Didn't think there would be that noticeable of a difference, but I have to trust my ears(maybe nobody else should). I immediately ordered two rolls of NOS unopened 457 on ebay. So that will be my route moving forward.

You need to re bias for the LPR35. I betcha that's why you are hearing artifacts at high levels. I did some testing on my 388 when I had it to determine bias level because the manual just says to set the bias amp output to 150mV. But that is for 457. It's significantly more for LPR35. Want me to refresh my memory on the results of my testing/experimenting?

Sweetbeats.....Do you know the bias level for LPR35????
Im asking because im sending my 388 to a tech tommorow and Im leaving a new roll of LPR35 with him for test tone rec\playback.
Maybe then I could let him know what the bias could be set for if he doen't know already.

Also....when this thing is biased for LPR35,would there be a problem using 457?
Because im on the lookout for some NOS of that stuff too.....even though LPR is gonna be my main go to

That would be awesome!

That's kind of what I thought. I will mention that I had the 388 worked on by Condor electronics in Fremont, couple years ago, and he actually calibrated it for 499, and he said it should be fine, just maybe slightly brighter. I decided to take shot at changing it, and spent a couple hours last night trying to test the bias, and I might be doing something wrong. (I just replaced bias amp pcb 1)

I went through the steps for Bias amp tuning and bias trap adjustments (I just replaced bias amp pcb 1, so manual said to go through this), that went fine. I moved on to the recording bias adjustment, and that's when I got stumped. The directions on the manual say to "connect ac voltmeter between TP2 and TPG on rec/play amp pcb". "adjust trim pots on the bias pcb for a 150mv reading on the ac voltmeter". So when I connect my multi meter (set to AC) I get virtually no reading at all, as if I'm just in a closed circuit. I adjusted the proper trim pot slightly, to see if there was any difference and there was no change. I stopped on the tape deck, still nothing. I pushed record again, nothing. Made no sense to me. It has to be something I'm doing wrong.

Did you record enable any tracks? You need to put all tracks in record mode and THEN put the transport into REC mode.

Sweetbeats.....Do you know the bias level for LPR35????
Im asking because im sending my 388 to a tech tommorow and Im leaving a new roll of LPR35 with him for test tone rec\playback.
Maybe then I could let him know what the bias could be set for if he doen't know already.

Also....when this thing is biased for LPR35,would there be a problem using 457?
Because im on the lookout for some NOS of that stuff too.....even though LPR is gonna be my main go to

If you set it up for LPR35 and then switch back to 457 you'll want to rebias. I'll dig thru my "Tascam 388 Story..." And rediscover my recommendation for bias level for LPR35.

I record enabled all tracks. Record mode? Record/play so that the tape is running/recording? That's what I've been assuming. I'm gonna feel a little silly if there is an actual record mode setting that I'm unaware of. Thanks for the help! Again! :)

Last edited:
If you set it up for LPR35 and then switch back to 457 you'll want to rebias. I'll dig thru my "Tascam 388 Story..." And rediscover my recommendation for bias level for LPR35.

Ok.Thanks.
I haven't used anything but LPR tape since I got my 388s...so Im guessing it's gonna need to be biased for that.

I record enabled all tracks. Record mode? Record/play so that the tape is running/recording? That's what I've been assuming. I'm gonna feel a little silly if there is an actual record mode setting that I'm unaware of. Thanks for the help! Again! :)

No that's all I mean.

What kind of meter are you using and do you have the range set properly on the meter? You might not have the range set for millivolts, or your meter may not be sensitive to the bias frequency.

Here you go, folks...post #254 in my "Tascam 388 Story..." thread. That post has my final word and the previous post in that thread, #253, has detail as to my process.

YMMV...I encourage you to do your own experimenting! 110mV bias amp output to properly bias LPR35 on a Tascam 388 is just one operator's opinion, though I felt assured enough to post my opinion.

No that's all I mean.

What kind of meter are you using and do you have the range set properly on the meter? You might not have the range set for millivolts, or your meter may not be sensitive to the bias frequency.

I have a radio shack one, time for me to upgrade I think, I have the range set right, at it's lowest, it's set mv, and I just think it's too low for it to read. I'm borrowing a friends, to test and make sure that's the issue. Your Tascam 388 story, accompanied by the manual, and the tape op 388 thread, are must reads....awesome resources for 388 owners.

It's the 46 range model, the most expensive model. I don't think it's the multimeter, I tested it with a friends and had the same result. It almost seems like someone did a mod to it that disables bias calibration....is that even possible? Super weird. Even when I adjust the pots on the bias card I get no audible difference. Definitely no change in the ac reading. I get the same result when I connect to TP2 and TPG on rec/play amp pcb, as I do when connect both ends of the multimeter together. It sounds good with Apex 457, which I have, so I'm certainly not screwed right now, or in a hurry, I'm just super confused.

Can you post a picture of the meter with it set to read the bias amp voltage? I want to make sure you have the probes properly connected and the meter on the right setting. You have it set to AC volts right?

And the. Also a picture of where you are probing.

Well was never able to figure out what the deal was....but I sold it to my friend, who's far better at tinkering than I. I picked up a M-308B, in pristine condition, and will be checking out a tsr-8 in Aberdeen(two hours from Seattle) from a super nice guy who's been recording since way before I was born (and I aint that young). He has 3 tsr-8's and one has been in the closet, that he picked up from a friend that he said, is in perfect condition, except that the pinch roller needs replacing as the rubber has gone bad. No problem, easy to get that replaced. Anyway, thanks for the help, and as sad as I am to close the 388 chapter, am excited to move into the next analog chapter. Will be posting my final two mixes from the 388 on the mix post thread soon. Cheers!

Back