Reel to Reel Samsung MR-929 left channel out (1968)

checkin

schematic.jpgThe audio is out on the headphones also on the left, no static or hum.
Started troubleshooting from the jack down, 2 large capacitors across ea. one ohmed out ok, no transistors in the chassis.
Any clue to look to next?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. So it's a Sanyo deck in fact. That's why I was confused as I've never seen an open reel deck from Samsung as I believe they came into the marketplace quite a while after consumer reel to reel decks went away.

About the channel outage issue you're having, it's difficult to make specific suggestions of what to check for beyond the basics of ensuring the heads are spotlessly clean and making full and even contact with the tape. It doesn't take much to make tracks disappear when any of that is compromised.

How did this issue appear? Working one minute and dead the next? Or was it gradual fall off of the sound?

Cheers! :)

I see that Sanyo comes up under Samsung, Im not sure if it was merged, bought out by them, or diversified.
The deck came that way from Craigslist, my fault for not checking it out, she said it worked good, gave my friend $60 to pick it up in Grand Rapids, he met her at Walgreens, so no way to return, I took a chance on this one, too trusting.

Hmmm.

$60 bucks was probably about 59 dollar more then what's its worth...kidding! :)

Well, if it came that way, the head cleaning stuff I mentioned still applies. You could also check for scratchy volume pots that may have corroded from sitting around all these years. Same goes for switches. You could try moving those back and forth several times to try to clean off the oxide/rotate the pots several times.

Are you playing back a pre-recorded tape or trying to do a fresh recording on decent blank tape?

Once all that's out of the way, you could then start doing the electronic trouble shooting, starting from the power supply and tracing if the voltages line up on both channels, looking for any cold solder joints that need to be touched up, any parts that look burnt, oddly discolored, etc. Any electrolytic capacitors might have also dried up and gone bad from age. Lots of things to play detective with, I suppose.

Good luck!

Cheers! :)

The left channel started working, & recording, I did some poking around the record slide switches, & think it was related to it coming back in. If it went back out, it would go out slow, no static, which I am guessing would be a dried cap, but has rejuvinated somehow. After I reassembled the deck to case, thought it would go back to its old ways, but is ok now.
The only thing not working is the tone controls, no static, no definition of working, cleaned the pots with a cleaner spray, ( a lot of crackling sound), no results, traced the wires back to the separate audio boards, & dont see a common denominator where both the left & right tone controls do not work.

Back