Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

I kinda like the relaxed tempo Jason, the drum feel is great and I wonder if you'd lose something in the speedup? (But then again I always seem to prefer vari-sped version of anything when I A-B it!).

My band did another super 8 vid a few months ago. Inspired by a nutty NY Times archive article I read from the early 90s about the last days of the KGB (when agents were relegated to doing busywork and living in fear of the pink slip).

I can only embed the first bit but it's actually in 3 parts https://vimeo.com/album/2694791/

Here's a noodle my girlfriend and I did tonight on a Tascam 244. I'm on the Banjole and she's on vocal.

Attachments

• Trouble in MInd.mp3
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
I was meaning to put together a video for that cover of 'Granny Takes A Trip' I did around February, but I never got round to it. After I came back from the states I remembered I still had all the production footage on the camera, but I wasn't happy with the way the song turned out.

So a day or two of reworking, and here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JaXjq654w8

Yep....Just reply to thread,post your sounds and then this thread will be highlighted for members to see a new post by you.

Recently I've been recording my mates in Morgan Square. They've put down some ace song and their EP will be released early august. As usual its been recorded on a Fostex G16 and mixed in the analogue domain. I aimed for a dryer sound than I normally do but there's a fair deal of spring reverb and tape echo going on.
I'll keep on recording these fellas for many years, we sealed a contract in goat blood :D

Achbahan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QywErVeNDWY

Yelling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpbuOI8cRr0
Check out the Syd Barret-ish tape effects on the quiet part. Took automatic double tracking to its extreme by making a tape echo, routing vocals through it and quite agressively modyfying the tempo on the multitrack with my hand while sending the echo to a free track :-)

That was great JP! I like the fast cuts between tape machines. The tones were excellent as always.
Just out of curiosity, what instrument was on track 4? Looks like it was hitting the tape hard (but appropriately so).

The is my band's newest super 8 vid:

That was great JP! I like the fast cuts between tape machines. The tones were excellent as always.
Just out of curiosity, what instrument was on track 4? Looks like it was hitting the tape hard (but appropriately so).

That was the bass synthesizer, 'VCO Oct lead' on the Roland MVS-1, so it's strictly a lead voice from a ROMpler, but if you play it in the low octaves it produces this wonderful rumbling bass sound which I've used in about half the songs I've ever written. I've not yet been able to produced a satisfactory replacement with the analogue synthesizers.

Fun with dry ice. So that's the cat of the song, is it?

Hmmm I thought Tri-X was going to be part of the theme of the album ;) The Vision 3 looks really good on super 8. It's really cool how you did the cuts between dry ice and the globe. And of course, the song is great as well!

Hmmm I thought Tri-X was going to be part of the theme of the album ;) The Vision 3 looks really good on super 8. It's really cool how you did the cuts between dry ice and the globe. And of course, the song is great as well!

I think the 'globe' is actually a dry ice bubble.

Thanks guys! And yep JP is right about the globe.
And that M-VS1 patch of yours does indeed sound very cool as a bass synth. Interestingly, the archived Sound-on-Sound review mentioned the EMU Proteus as its primary market competitor. I had that one for a while and really didn't like it.

Very nice. But for a real authentic Rock n Roll era sound try recording all the instruments on one track of the stereo machine and the vocal on the other.

Then mix to mono ;)

Thanks guys! And yep JP is right about the globe.
And that M-VS1 patch of yours does indeed sound very cool as a bass synth. Interestingly, the archived Sound-on-Sound review mentioned the EMU Proteus as its primary market competitor. I had that one for a while and really didn't like it.

That VCO lead patch is also on the SRJV-04 expansion card, which fits Roland machines of the JV1080 era. I think the XP30 has it built in.
The MVS-1 was more or less a standalone version of the expansion card, though some sounds are different and the patch order is changed.
The more modern SRX07 board also claims to have it, but it may have been remastered so I don't know if it's exactly the same.

Man!!!! You can coax some great sounds out of that 4 track!!!!

^^Agreed!
Boring Anecdote: I just found a bunch of Philips CD One Cassettes in original wrap in someones 'rubbish' today (i wasn't looking for lunch). Crappy type I's, i know but i thought it would be a shame to see them go to waste, hauled out some old stereo decks that were lying around and alas, all belts fubar. And i passed on a fostex 4-track cassete last week that had seen about 3hrs use, like new in the box offered to me for $50 :facepalm:. Never thought i'd see the day, but now i want to play with tapes again. Listening to a few tunes here lately, I realise i really had forgotten how good some of those portastudio type machines could sound - thanks for that!

Back