OT Whine: Buried, just buried

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
Buried in house projects, in gear, in working on gear, in broken gear, in not working on broken gear but soldering new gear, looking at schematics, AAARRHRHFHF, trying to blow up capacitors,,,.looking at gear that isn't hooked up, bewildered at hooking up said gear. Oh and then there is regular 6:00 to 21:00 life. (I like my clocks in 24hr time, that way I don't set an alarm clock for 6:00pm.....)

I ***finally*** plugged in the (brokenish) Quadra and the Rhodes and a drum machine to just release some pent up tension. After a bunch of remoldering, about to embark on some more remodeling. And I still need to fix the Quadra. The lead section has even drifted out of f******* tune again.

You arent alone. Basically same story here. Lots of remodeling done, lots to do. Many many electronic projects which keeps the studio from EVER being finished. Cars and more cars that always want my time. Only real difference is that Im in a band and get to get out of the house, go to a friends studio and play a couple times a week. Oh and try to keep honest and practice drums everyday........Ugggg

You have no idea how many of us are in the same boat or shades of what you're going through... mdainsd has it right. Just get out of the house if / whenever you can. Drop by some friends or jam with someone. That's not really a solution but does help immensely. To really fix it, however, you might need to makes some tough decisions and get rid of some stuff which is obviously pulling you down and for God's sake....... don't buy any more! :D

Same here... have a 2 year old running amok, house projects let alone just trying to keep the house somewhat clean, and when I do get time at night I just sit and stare at my stuff and have absolutely no real motivation to use it / work on it / record etc. Fortunately I haven't created too many music projects for myself but I definitely have my share of broken gear I would love to get working again and just don't have the know-how. I think it's funny how a lot of us buy analog and vintage gear knowing it's probably going to need work but we secretly hope it never does so we can just use it, and when it does break it's like, "F**k...", and we buy something else. :thumbs up:

Sorry to be a PITA, but I've just had a great week.

Managed to score an Allen & Heath GS3000 (32 channel with meterbridge) fairly locally as well (30 miles instead of the 300 I've been looking at). The desk is going to be brilliant for use with the 1/2" MSR16 and 1" MS16. I've had to spend a day re-doing the carcassing of the studio to accommodate the 1.5m size of the desk.......but it's going to look (and sound) wonderful once it's installed. There's a couple of small issues with the desk but I've already sorted out a couple so I'm pretty confident it's going to be sortable. And to cap it all, the Soundtracs PC Series desk flew outta the door today.........so all in all I finally feel like it's one small step for me, one f*"cking giant leap forward for my studio.

Sorry for gloating.

If it makes you feel any better I still have to sort out the relays on one of the MS16 and the reel tensions on the other one.

Al
l

Thanks everybody. I've been told before about downsizing, (ahem) It is somewhat of a PITA to advertise/sell stuff, (photos, posting, shipping, etc) so maybe a good solution would be to just look at what I don't need (ie don't need to use, like that Fostex 8-track) set it aside and gradually sell it off, or just not worry about hooking up that TDAT. (Am I really really going to digitize 16 analog tracks when I barely have the time to lay down those analog tracks????) I can probably live without SMPTE right now...etc. Also prioritize the repair/DIY. Some of it is the pitbull mentality. I had a PC fail on me, (it was nicely rack mounted) so I spent an idiotic amount of time trying to repair it, when I could have just pulled the data off the hard drive that I could save and just junk the machine.

Ah this thread as been cathartic. OK prioritize, prioritize, and don't be a dog with a bone. (Someone else said that too.... ahem.)

Back