Oooooo! What's in da box??

John McCain campaign buttons? :D

More seriously, it's too small a box for an Ampex reel to reel so I'm going with a channel amp of some sort!

Cheers! :)

Sweets,

You're going to have to stop........this is at risk of becoming an .........I don't like to use the word...........an addiction.
I had a couple about seven years.....bought a Tascam synchroniser unit (was it a something 50) to sync them both via the ACCESSORY 2 port. The sound though is nothing like a reel to reel. Seems to have no depth or high....all kinda hi-fi mid-range....or that's at least my recollection.

To paraphrase an Oasis album, 'What's the story this morning Cory?'
Al

Y'all are funny. :D

I've wanted a 238 for a long, long time...back as far as when they were still being sold new.

I actually had one briefly at one point, but negotiated to return it to the seller for a refund after it didn't perform as advertised, but not before letting it affirm for me I wanted to return to using analog equipment.

My first analog multitrack machine was a Teac 3340S. I really liked how it sounded, but this was in the early 90s and digital was the big push and was "better". I wanted "better". Over the course of time I switched to digital and for me something was missing, but I was stuck on it being "better". Zoom ahead to about 10 years ago and, after doing a couple full-length projects in the digital domain I felt there was an element I couldn't get using that medium that I wanted, so I picked up a cheap 238 just to test my hunch in anticipation I'd be getting into an open reel machine again. The 238, though plagued with some issues, had the element I was missing in spades. I returned the 238, and at about the same time happened upon a 48 and 58 being sold together for $250. The rest is history so-to-speak.

But I've wanted to get back into a 238 simply because the cassette format is so easy to use, and 8 tracks fits well with the kinda of things I like to do.

This one came up locally for $150 including an MMC-100 sync box (which I don't need and will be selling), two 8-channel Hosa snakes, and 19 cassettes. The cassettes are normal bias unfortunately.

The deck is in very good cosmetic condition. I don't know yet what shape the rubber is in, and I do know the capstan servo board needs recapped (it has the common problem where the capstan runs too fast), but I have the caps on-hand already.

So, not a steal, but a local deal that was very reasonable.

Nice! I almost got one of these back in the day for the convenience of cassette. I've used one belonged to a friend. Keep it clean and it's amazing what you can do with this machine.

Back