NAB Hub Adaptors and MX5050 question.....

ausrock

OK, firstly, I'm trying to find a pair of NAB adaptors for my Otari MX5050, apparently they must be retained on the 5/16" spindles in a different manner to other brands of 1/4" R2R's.............if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear from you.

Secondly, the MX5050 has a 2 trk record head and the playback head can be switched from 2 to 4 trks................so far I haven't been able to get my head around what this is all about..............again, if anyone can explain, I will be (al)most grateful.

:cool:

Hi again Chris.

I hope the answer on the reel-hubs helps.
Try find a used pair somewhere.
About the switch underneath the headcover, your deck can record 2-track + playback, and play 4-track tapes.
There was several different models of MX-5050 and head-configurations + speed.
Check the last numbers located on the small metalplate next to the XLR connections, it will tell you what model you have.
I have one MX-5050 for sale with 2 + 4 track heads and 3 speeds.
3-3/4, 7-1/2 and 15.
Does your deck has 2 VU-meter or 4 ?

The model number is MX-5050 B2HD which I believe is an early model with the "roll-over" tape counter and two VU meters.

In "2 trk" mode, what width of tape is used for each track?

:cool:

The H stand for High Speed model: 7-1/2 and 15.
D is directdrive capstan motor.
2 is 2-track recording and if your deck has a switch on top of the head-cover check what kind of head is mounted on nr:2 from the left.
That's the playback head when switch is set to: 4.
Most have a label taped to the side.
There was 8 different models of this older model.
Yours should have 2-track recording/playback and 4-track playback.

Hope this helps Chris. :)

Great help thanks and yes you are correct re the 2 trk rec/play and 4 trk play. So I presume that in 2 trk mode, it is using almost half the tape width (1/8") per track. I'm not experienced enough to immediately recognise how many tracks a head is designed for, but the 2nd from the left is definitely different to the others.

If you ever hear of a manual available for this model please let me know.

You welcome Chris.
I have a manual for this model, complete operation and service.
Sold several of these models in the past. ;)
Do you want just the operation section Chris ?

Back