NAB Hub Adaptors..........???

ausrock

Guys,

I need to find a pair of NAB adaptors for my Otari MX-5050. Does anyone know if Tascam units will work OK............obviously they fit the same spindle size (cine., 5/16") but how are they retained on the spindle before the 10" reels go on. I have seen some Tascam units on Ebaaay, but there were comments that they were retained by something on the spindle.

Any comments or ideas appreciated.

ChrisO :cool:

They are retained by whatever method retains a standard 7 inch plastic reel on the Otari's center spindle.

If the Otari has no lock mechanism, then neither will the TASCAM NAB hub adapters.

If the deck is on its back, this shouldn't be an issue, either way.

Cheers! :)

Hi Chris

Otari and Tascam hubs are not the same. :(
The hubs are both used for lock down 7 inch reels and 10 inch, as the shaft on the reel-table is round on Otari.
Not sure if you still can buy a new set from Otari Chris.
I did a test last year with one MX-5050 if I could mount the reel-tables from a Tascam 32 on the Otari, as the size were the same, but some machine-work was needed on the reel-motor lshaft lock to make it work..
Personally I prefer Tascam's type instead, safer and easier.

Great, many thanks.

BTW, sorry for this question appearing in two threads...................it has been one of those weeks here (interesting, but hectic) and I totally forgot about the earlier thread.

Sorry, they will not work, because your Otari has no built in lock as Tascam.
You need a pair like these:
http://openreel.net/kw0ho.jpg

The upper part tightens around the shaft and the lower three "legs" lifts up and turn to lock down 10-1/2 inch's reels.
If you using 7 inch reels you need to unlock the hub every time when changing reels.
Also a slipmat between the reel-table and 7 inch's reel must be used sometimes on MX-5050 models, it just depends how good the reel-tables are adjusted. :)

OK, I figured out the Yen and Ying for you. :rolleyes:
6800 Yen X 2 + handling fee' 600 yen is 14.200 yen
it is $ 182.77 Aussie + shipping.

How about that ? :cool:

ROFLMAO............Thank you.

I had seen openreel in the past but couldn't remember the name or find a link to them..........at those prices I may just turn something up on the lathe.

BTW, I will get back to you on the manual.

ChrisO

Chris, I messed up before :o
Each hub cost 3800 yen so for 2 = 7600 + 600 handling fee =
Total: 8200 yen
comes to $ 105.54 Aussie + shipping.

Sorry about that..... :rolleyes:

Back