Maxell UD 35-90

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
It seems the older TEAC decks (and Akai) were set up for the Maxell UD 35-90 (thanks Rolf ;) ) that I often see on eBay "new" or NOS .... I noted that in some of those auctions, the box had different graphics even though it was the same type of tape (Maxell UD 35-90). What's up with that ? :confused: Is it safe to purchase the now discontinued "NOS" Maxell, even when it's sealed ? Also, is it fair to compare the Maxell to the newer tape formulations like the 456 ?

Thanks!

Daniel

Why buy old tape, knowing all the issues old tape can bring to the table?

UD35-90 is a rough equivalent to Quantegy 407 or 457 which is 1mil tape. 456 is 1.5 mil tape and tends to have a thicker coating of oxide which means less drop outs and stronger base layer to prevent stretching.

Considering that Quantegy is the only player left that is nice enough to still offer us analog youngsters actual new product, I think we should support them where ever possible.

As to Maxell's constant packaging design changes, it was all window dressing for the box and little else.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
Why buy old tape, knowing all the issues old tape can bring to the table?

UD35-90 is a rough equivalent to Quantegy 407 or 457 which is 1mil tape. 456 is 1.5 mil tape and tends to have a thicker coating of oxide which means less drop outs and stronger base layer to prevent stretching.

Considering that Quantegy is the only player left that is nice enough to still offer us analog youngsters actual new product, I think we should support them where ever possible.

As to Maxell's constant packaging design changes, it was all window dressing for the box and little else.

Cheers! :)

Thanks and you're right ..... We DO need to support the makers of this tape .... That's why I have more on the way!

Daniel

Vintage TX said:
So Daniel, did you buy Quantegy 456, 406 or 407 ? :)

Nope ... I'm outta luck on the 406/407 .... The only tape I have that I keep re-using is the good 'ol 456 .. :)

Daniel

Back