I have 388 Lust :(

ckswartwood

I want a 388 really really really badly. I feel like there is a club that I am not apart of and I need some support.

I have two Tascam 38's (one was bought as a parts machine, but I ended up restoring out of my dis-satisfaction with it not working) And I use a 70's Yamaha RM830 mixer paired with the 38. I mean, is my lust justified, or am I fooling myself?
I wonder to myself, 1/2" versus 1/4" has got to have 1/2" as the clear winner in fidelity - but is that it? Is that the only excuse I can come up with? If it is, the why do 388 recordings SOUND better to me?! "Tubbier" Fatter" "Browner?"
The 38 really has no love to speak of, the 388 on the other hand, has what I would consider to be a cult following.

I honestly think I wont be happy until I have one.
You think I could manage a trade of the two Tascam 38's and the Yamaha RM804 Mixer for a working 388?
Hell, if anyone here is interested, let me know. Needless to say, I am motivated.

The 38 is a great machine with better sonic performance on paper and in practice. But the 388 is no slouch and I think part of the reason is it's a well matched system recorder/mixer. Tascam did a great job with it based on their experience and R&D with their cassette portastudios. When you're matching decks with mixing consoles you can end up with results as different as night and day, depending on the mixer you use. The designers of the 388 took that unknown out of the mix (no pun) and built a complete system optimized to work well with itself. I think that's about it.

One more thing about the 388 is the onboard dbx NR is optimized for that unit. So you've got this well-integrated system fine tuned at the factory at every stage. Using outboard dbx is hit or miss with different machines and probably why some people seem to love dbx while others abhor it. And speaking of dbx it does tend to accentuate that warm fuzzy something about analog on narrow track machines. dbx is not transparent, but in my experience its not transparent in a good way if setup properly.

Tascam's legacy portastudios like the 244 and 246 were setup properly, as was the 388, which is basically a portastudio that's too big to be portable. I still have a 246 porta that I bought new. Even after many years using many machines, pro, semi-pro, whatever, there's still something about the sound of the 246 cassette that just sounds right. I think its pretty much the same story with the 388. 8 tracks on 1/4" tape @ 7-1/2" IPS is not supposed to do what the 388 can do, and yet it does.

I remember when the 388 first came out. I wanted one too, and still kinda do. For a home/project studio it’s just so convenient, and another factor that wasn’t so much a concern back then, but is now is the price of tape. Sometimes I look at all the unused ½” reels of tape I have and I’m really tempted to sell it all, get a good condition 388 and simplify my life. I have a feeling I’ll never get around to it though. But I have a TSR-8 and a whole book could be written about that well-designed machine, and a whole cult following started. ;)

I had the 388 lust too.
And I HAD to have one.I kept searching the online classifieds everyday,and finaly came across one for $500 and about a 40min drive from where I live.These things rarely come up for sale in Canada because I always look for them.So,when I went to look at the 388,I was so excited that I just took the guys word for it,that it worked.I didn't even plug it in,didn't check it with headphones,nothing!
Just took a quick look at it payed him and took her home.It needed a belt and that was it to get it going.There are a few small quirks every now and then but it works and sounds great and good cosmetic condition too.
I haven't touched it in a couple months,but come the new year,Im gonna hunker down with it over the cold winter months and finish off the original songs I've been writing.Cant wait!!!!
Just one thing.If you find one,make sure you plug it in,pass some audio through it,run some tape etc...before you buy it.
Dont do what I did.I got lucky.

Another thing to consider is 7.5 ips does sound different ... brings out some of the qualities you mentioned (tubbier/fatter/browner). It does something cool to the low end especially ... some big names even used 7.5 here and there for certain tracks. I recall going 7.5 on an old 3340 to get more space on a tape for an unimportant rehearsal recording ... it really did something cool to the sound. emphasizes the analog artifacts in a more prominent manner.

Like yourself and j.harv, I also had the lust and had to have one. I found mine at a record store (of all places) for $450 because he apparently didn't check the going rates... But when I saw it the first time it wasn't in my budget at all, and when I finally went back to look at it I brought along a mic, cable, good headphones, and a reel of my own tape but there was already a reel on it.

I haven't been able to really dive into it yet because my studio is in the process of being built, but I keep going down there and staring at it, waiting anxiously to get it all set up and start recording some tracks. I also have a 38 with an M-308 mixer, which I feel is essentially the same type of mixer with the same pre's as the 388, but my 38 has never worked right and I'm tired of dumping money into it to get it working.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is 7.5 ips does sound different ... brings out some of the qualities you mentioned (tubbier/fatter/browner). It does something cool to the low end especially ... some big names even used 7.5 here and there for certain tracks. I recall going 7.5 on an old 3340 to get more space on a tape for an unimportant rehearsal recording ... it really did something cool to the sound. emphasizes the analog artifacts in a more prominent manner.

I agree. As long as the hiss does not get out of control at the slower speed, I prefer 7.5 usually. I think you also have to be a little more careful with tape choice and bias setting, but if you optimize it all, it sounds great.

And the tape needs to be in good shape, since dust and stuff has a greater chance of causing dropouts at a slower speed.

thanks for all the posts above, especially beck.
it would be nice to have phantom, of course.
But in 1985 i'll bet the typical user of this machine probably didn't even have a condensor.
Seems like they should have provided a bit more gain with the preamps then considering that users
were most likely using a sm58 or maybe 414 or ev mic.
also, i was thinking maybe it sounds "tube" like to some people because there is basicly nothing coming off the tape over 12K?
Although, maybe that's not a big deal in my case.
I did the mosquito test online recently with headphones and my hearing rolls off pretty quick adfter that anyhow.
yikes!

is there some way I can slow my 38 down to 7.5? Or would I be better to let it be?

Personally I wouldn’t recommend trying to make your 38 sound like a 388, but for certain instruments or effect, saturation is something to have in your bag of audio tricks.

Tape saturates at lower signal (or flux) levels with lower tape speed because you have less tape area and thus less magnetic particles for a given duration of music. I’ve used 7-1/2” ips speed on mastering decks to take the edge off of commercial CDs I bought that were basically unbearable to me due to digital artifacts. I would then transfer the music back to CD from tape, and voila! I had a CD I could tolerate. Not all CDs required such drastic measures, but some releases that sounded peachy previously on vinyl were just garbage on CD. I learned to see the “Digitally Remastered” label like skull & crossbones… something to avoid rather than something to make me more likely to buy it.

The key in this case is to use tape to “smear” things a bit. 15 ips half-track was too clean to do any good when I was trying to salvage those harsh sounding CDs. However you can also hit the tape harder @ 15 ips for similar effect, which will work a bit better on the narrower tracks of the 38 compared to half-track. Total tape area at a given flux level is the main factor in tape saturation. So narrower tracks will saturate at lower levels as will slower moving tape.

The 388 can be very clean. Clean and warm are not at opposite ends of the spectrum. IMO many people today and for some time now incorrectly characterize digital as clean, when more accurate terms would be thin or metallic. With digital the individual instruments do tend to seem more separate in their own spaces, and that sounded cool at first because it was different. But when you think about it that’s not how live music sounds. It blends together and IMO that’s part of what makes analog tape sound more natural.

Tape can be as detailed and clean as you want it to be and at the same time it still has that life about it we all know and love. Or you can really grunge things up, but you do that deliberately for effect. Use a lower MOL tape like 406 instead of 456 and you can achieve a bit more musical distortion as well. But use the higher output tapes like GP9 and ATR and good luck getting anything out of those but crystal clear. Either that or your electronics will clip before the tape gives you any audible distortion… and that’s not the kind of distortion you want.

Higher flux levels also reduce high frequency response… another reason low-speed narrow track sounds warmer. The high frequencies on the 388 top out around 16 kHz before falling off. The same tape @ 15 IPS would be closer to 20kHz. Frequency response is often measured at -10 dB at lower speeds because it looks better on a spec sheet. An honest spec sheet will give you frequency response numbers for -10 VU and 0 VU. The closer to 0 VU and beyond the worse the high frequency response will be.

The 388 is 30Hz -16kHz +/- 3dB. That doesn’t mean there’s nothing above 16k, but it does drop off sharply from there. And it gets even more complicated because those measurements are for a specific tape… in this case TEAC YTT-8013, which is pretty close to Maxell UD. Maxell XLI, Quanegy 457, 407 and Scotch 207 are all better tapes than the Teac YTT-8013 used to measure frequency response, so you can get better than factory performance from the 388 with higher quality tape.

Something that really works well with narrow track machines with dbx if you find the sound a bit dark for your taste is the BBE Sonic Maximizer. I’m not into magic black boxes generally speaking, but this is no gimmick. I have a second-generation unit, the Model 422 I bought new late 80’s and I wouldn’t mix without it.

Another thing when working with dbx is too turn down the high frequencies on tracks that contain things like bass and kick. Some people complain about “pumping” and “breathing” with dbx. Well attenuate the freakin’ high EQ on those freakin’ tracks! There’s nothing up there that does anything for bass instruments anyway. Since dbx is a broadband compander it opens up the whole frequency spectrum when decoding those tracks, including tape-hiss frequencies. And that’s one reason people complain they can hear dbx working, but what’s not really working is the technician’s grasp of how dbx works and what instruments occupy what range in the audible frequency spectrum. User error strikes again and the device gets blamed. ;)

... also, I was thinking maybe it sounds "tube" like to some people because there is basicly nothing coming off the tape over 12K?
Although, maybe that's not a big deal in my case.
I did the mosquito test online recently with headphones and my hearing rolls off pretty quick adfter that anyhow.
yikes!

See above. The 388 has a freq response of 30Hz - 16kHz +/- 3db and that's measured with a fairly average tape. Use a better tape and it should exceed that a bit. But yeah, most adults can't hear much over 16k anyway, and that's fine because most musical instruments don't have anything much above that anyway, including harmonics. So it’s all good. :)

Last edited:
thanks Beck for the informative post.
As to your point about rolling off the highs on low frequency sources when tracking, i agree.
problem with the 388 is the semi para eq.
If you try and roll off stuff it just ends up being a notch. Or two notches.
I would almost rather just have a simple hi/lo shelving eq, as i find that more musical sometimes, but it is what it is.
i mostly just leave the eq flat and use different mics to get the different frequency profiles
i like.

maybe it sounds "tube" like to some people because there is basicly nothing coming off the tape over 12K?

The high frequencies on the 388 top out around 16 kHz before falling off.

Beck is correct. with dbx turned on, the frequency response on my 388 starts to fall sharply around 16k and tops out at 18k (doesn't seem to change based on the tape I use, like NOS Quantegy 406, RMGI SM911, and some Maxell UD 35-90). that being said, i clean and demag the works on a regular basis, and my heads are still in good shape.

it is a slightly dark sounding machine though, make no mistake. you can work around it or go with the flow...

I wish I could get everything to sound like 7.5. I personally think every instrument sounds better, but you lose some of the high fi advantage of the higher speeds. Kind of a catch 22.

Back