Here's my ANALOG DEMO TAPE submission for the myspace contest

Not bad. She has a pretty voice. Knacking" on Heaven's door, was the timing on the vocals out of sync with the music done intentionally?

nice, simple and relaxing. A few timing issues on the songs, nothing too serious though. Good songwriting skills on some of these tracks. I would take it easy a bit with the reverb/delay you got going on the vocals for some of the songs. Apart from it sounding way to over the top for some of the nice relaxing acoustic songs.. it does make the mix sound a bit messy. Apart from that it's great, you really make 8 track cassette sound great... now i see why i won't let go of my fostex 4 tracker....

thanks for the feedback

yeah I definitely here you guys, I'm not all that great at mixing or recording...I wish I could just get someone else to do it but everyone I know records on computers and with digital stuff. Vocals is probably my worst area for mixing...I can never get the vocal track to sit in the mix nicely. I'm trying to upgrade to a tascam 388 1/4 tape just cause it sounds much nicer to my ears. I appreciate the feedback, I know my stuff definitely needs some work...I saw some book all about tricks and tips for old school analog recording...I'm gonna have to buy that and sharpen up.

oh no, haha that was when I first got my 688

Not bad. She has a pretty voice. Knacking" on Heaven's door, was the timing on the vocals out of sync with the music done intentionally?

yeah i totally got off timing when I layed down those bongos and the drums hahah. That snapping sound you hear every so often is a digital dbx vocal processor I had...for some reason it would always do that. I bought it used so I'm not sure if it was damaged or if it was something I was doing wrong. All I know is, I've had way more issues with digital gear then I've ever had with analog stuff. I decided to go completely analog. I'm a huge vintage gear whore as well

good job

love the piano at the end has a real nice vibe ... i would do the bass track over but over all great idea's very cool song!

Pretty cool track. It's refreshing to listen to a relaxing, laid back tune, especially a talented female vocalist. It's pretty surprising what can be accomplished on cassette 8 track! I love the analogue vibe. Real nice stuff.

That clicking I've had on a 266 dbx compressor as well (not certain of the model). Maybe a defect?

PS: I agree, the piano is a "scene stealer" here, as short as it is.:D

Back