Fostex Model 20?

Somnium7

Noise Criminal
I did attempt to search the forum before making this thread but I kept getting screwed up by this...
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: 20

Really annoying! :mad:

So much for that. Anyway, I would like to know if this machine is any good. How much should I pay for one?
Does anybody here use one?

Thanks

I did attempt to search the forum before making this thread but I kept getting screwed up by this...

Really annoying! :mad:

So much for that. Anyway, I would like to know if this machine is any good. How much should I pay for one?
Does anybody here use one?

Thanks

You'll have better results using advanced google search options. Enter the following string in the google search box...

+Fostex +"model 20" site:homerecording.com

and you get this:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=+...t=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=homerecording.com

The Model 20 is a nice machine if you get one with good heads. You can't get new heads anymore from Fostex.

I'm partial to Tascam partly because you can still buy new heads for many machines. I love the Tascam 22-2. You can't beat it for a compact mastering deck, but it has no features like RTZ or memory points.

:)

hmmm looks like I'll pass on it then. That really sucks about the heads!

Would you happen to know which Tascam units you can get replacement heads for? ...or a link to the info?

Most Tascam heads are still available… too many to list. The heads for the most popular half-tracks such as the 22-2, 32, 42 and BR-20 are all available. The 22-2 and the 32 are still the best bets for restoration, as new heads are around $50.00 each.

But I wouldn’t write off the Model 20 just yet. One factor that makes semi-pro gear such a good buy is you can still find machines that are barely used. A guy in his home studio recording only himself has to try really hard to wear something out. There are plenty of worn and abused items that have been passed around on eBay, but if you shop wisely for a one-owner low-use deck, it’s the next best thing to new. The rare new deck even pops up from time-to-time. They typically only need a capstan belt and maybe a new pinch roller to be up and running.

:)

Thanks for all the useful info! :)
I'm not in a huge hurry to buy a deck, it's a nicety. Something I'd like to pick up eventually.
As much as I would like to go back to my old T - 388 setup, I am pretty hopelessly enslaved to THE BOX nowadays.

I'm interested in a two tracks I can use for burning bass tracks and for mixdowns. I liked the model 20 because it has the cue track for use with SMPTE but as far as requirements go I just need something basic.

I'll keep looking for the model 20 locally. If I can go inspect the heads I'll feel better about buying.

Back