Equalizer Recommendation

technoplayer

Recovering Gear-aholic
I am soliciting recommendations from all gear experts (junkies) for an equalizer. I have my own ideas but want a wifder perspective.
Since my original failed I have had two others which both lasted only a short time.
I think this is one of the downsides of *vintage* equipment, and eq's are unrepairable as far as my skillset goes.
I am looking for one to use on the playback side...a fancy set of tone controls if you will.

What I am looking for recommendations on:

> 2 channel (stereo) . I would consider one that adjusts BOTH channels with ONE slider.
> Octave eq... 10 or so band range. No third octaves...too many choices
> Two rack space (2U) unit; basically I do not want short throw (1u type) sliders
> Decent specs. I don't cre about published numbers, just something that sounds good and does not to badly degrade the signal chain.
Please no commentary like " well thats all an eq really does "
> no automatic eqs.
> I do not need a parametric or paragraphic or any of those para things.....

A built in spectrum display would be *nice* but absolutely not essential.

What you got that you are happy with.??

Only one I know of in the recording realm with stereo input/output and single set of sliders is Behri's 800. I don't have any experience with it, but have seen it in stores (came out recently).

I use plug-ins for the most part and love my para's...

AFA playback goes, it just takes a few seconds to match the sides if you want something like the DBX 215 we use at church. Got good controls, +/-6 or 12 switchable, good s/n, low cut filter.
Maybe you're looking for a home stereo type?

I ve looked at the dbx stuff, but the 215 has those 20 mm sliders ....its a 1U unit.
Something a notch up from home stereo. I thought about the Klark Teknik DN360, which has mad great reviews, but its 1/3 octave........

>>> I do not have anything digital except a Yamaha PM1000 reverb. Analog

Maybe Altec? Soundcraftsmen??

In dual channel 10 band graphic eq's, the most musical/transparent sounding one I ever came across was from AudioControl. These were US made semi-pro units that could be optionally rack mountable but had RCA in and outs for regular home use.

They had one model which had the left and right channel faders grouped side by side for each frequency and I believe the model was called The "Ten".

If you can find a used clean copy of that one, I'd highly recommend it. And it's a 2 rack space unit, size-wise.

View attachment 89534

Cheers! :)

A quick search and I see there are several models out there...even one with a built in spectrum analyzer (pretty lights --- lol !!)

There are few of those Audio Control units with the left+ right faders grouped together as well, which I like.

I will do some more research on these...thanks.

Anyone else??

I know you said no parametric, but the Ashly PQX-572 is a really amazing EQ for the money. On top of 5 parametric bands, it has a low and high shelf. Huge range of EQ with an extremely transparent sound. At the price, I think it's hard to disregard it just because it's parametric :)

The Rane Mojo MQ302 is more of a live unit and it's discontinued, but maybe it would work for your application. There were three versions, the original MQ302 (1RU) and the later MQ302S (1RU) and MQ302L (2RU). You would want the L version for the longer throw faders.

[Edit] Whoops, it's a third octave eq, so never mind. (Still, worth a look.)

Hmmmmm.
I like the Combined channels on the Rane, but........ its still 1/3 octave. I would prefer the broader brush of an octave eq.

Ashly is very nice gear, and I have some good experience with their parametrics, but......not the type of control I seek.

Sorry team....

A quick search and I see there are several models out there...even one with a built in spectrum analyzer (pretty lights --- lol !!)

There are few of those Audio Control units with the left+ right faders grouped together as well, which I like.

I will do some more research on these...thanks.

Anyone else??

I didn't mention the C101 because you said that the spectrum analyzer would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

But yes, there are about 3 models from them with the side by side controls but only the TEN and one variant(model year specific) of the Octave are 2 rack space units. The older ones are also the better made/heftier ones.

Thanks Ghost. Yeah, as typical the older stuff is heavier/better built...made to last.

>>>>I wonder if the make those cheater bars for grouping three eq sliders like the ones for mixer faders...:)

I'd be concerned that raising 3 faders as a group would create a much bumpier looking response curve than a single one in a 10 band.

Phase equals clarity, so less is more when it comes to eq.

Really just joking about the three slider thing. Just making the point...I do not want /need 3rd octave control.

So my "short list" at this point:

Audiocontrol C22 or C101
Tascam GE 20B
Soundcraftsmen RP22xx series or DC2214
DBX 1225
Altec 1652A

You know I have a couple of old Realistic Graphics laying around that were very quiet and did the job well, 7 band stereo so not too many bands for you. They also had a 10 band stereo and a version with a spectrum analyser. You will pick up any of these very cheap second hand.

This one is not mine but is the same one.

realistic.jpg

Back